By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix 08 sales Down 75%

leo-j said:

Square is pahthetic, let there games flop to hell, they deserve every bit of it, and let there " 360 will win japan" statement continue on, once the ps3 kicks off(if ever), Im sure they will come crawling back.

I agree. I mean, they're only putting their 2 biggest console titles exclusively on the Ps3 there! Filthy traitors, I want more!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

No wonder 0 games for ps3 and 1 wii game.

Supporting the two HD consoles while basically ignoring the Wii is their path to bankruptcy.

Intelligence would show them that they could produce a great game on Wii for the fraction of the cost.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Oyvoyvoyv said:
leo-j said:

Square is pahthetic, let there games flop to hell, they deserve every bit of it, and let there " 360 will win japan" statement continue on, once the ps3 kicks off(if ever), Im sure they will come crawling back.

I agree. I mean, they're only putting their 2 biggest console titles exclusively on the Ps3 there! Filthy traitors, I want more!

STAR OCEAN IV (360)

LAST REMNANT (360)

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY (360)

FF XIII(360, PS3)

FF VERSUS XIII(PS3)

mM

Infinite Undiscovery is owned by Microsoft. Can't really expect SE to put it on another console when they don't own the rights.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
leo-j said:

STAR OCEAN IV (360)

LAST REMNANT (360)

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY (360)

FF XIII(360, PS3)

FF VERSUS XIII(PS3)

No, your post was about Japan, silly. FF13 is exclusive to the Ps3 there, didn't you know that?

So we're currently at

360:

- Minor franchise that only has 1 game that has broken 1M

- 2 new IPs

Ps3:

- Square's biggest console title

- The perhaps biggest spin-off of the main FF series, probably their 2nd biggest console title.

Wii:

- A minor spin-off title. Only 1 earlier installment has broken 1M.

Hmm, after looking at the facts I agree. Square Enix is overlooking the Ps3.

RPG said:
I wonder though, why did Versus stay PS3 exclusive? hmmmmm

Because M$ has to save the announcement for E3 2009

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

axumblade said:
Chrono Trigger should take them to about a 60% loss. 

Excuse me? Isn't the game virtually a port from a 13 year old game?

Jeez, so much whining in this thread. What is it about Japanese RPGs that causes the Internet to go into an emo whirlstorm of pity and self-loathing?

Quite a few people have shown in this thread that 2008 happened to be a year that fell between major releases for Square, and there's no deeper meaning present. That's not to say Square hasn't screwed up this console generation, and screwed it up badly, because they unquestionably have done so. I find it shocking that Square still hasn't produced a single million-selling game on any console yet, in well over two years of trying.

Square's balance sheets look fine in the short term. It's the long term that I'd be worried about, because an entire console generation is passing by with no Final Fantasy and no Dragon Quest, and the industry doesn't seem to mind their absence at all.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

^He means that sales percentage in comparison to last year will go up.