By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blockbuster may be sony's answer to netflix?

blockbuster was one the first stores to supply PSN cards also.

Around the Network

The problem with Blockbuster's service is that you have to pay per video. Here's more information on the service:

http://www.blockbuster.com/ondemand

"Rentals" start at $1.99

Sony might as well just stick with their own digital video distribution service.

Makes me upset to see Netflix available on Samsung and LG BluRay players but not my PS3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

noslodecoy said:
The problem with Blockbuster's service is that you have to pay per video. Here's more information on the service:

http://www.blockbuster.com/ondemand

"Rentals" start at $1.99

Sony might as well just stick with their own digital video distribution service.

this does not mean anything... thats their service if you do not wish to subscribe to anything. They could easily do something similar using a similar format as their Blockbuser Online services.

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/paypal/plan/p.26972/r.25rebate

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ooooh sony trying to copy microsoft

Around the Network

The article directly refers to Blockbuster Ondemand. That is their Blockbuster Online service. They do not offer streaming video in the way Netflix does.

noslodecoy said:
The article directly refers to Blockbuster Ondemand. That is their Blockbuster Online service. They do not offer streaming video in the way Netflix does.

You beat me to it.

ceaser92 said:
probably not,
the playstation video store is good enough

It can always be better. Especially when the competiton is offering so much content at a competitive price.

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

noslodecoy said:

and what is stopping them from offering steaming media using Blockbuster On Demand with subscription based services?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@leo-j

Speaking as somewhat of a video aficionado. Trust me my collection is huge it eats a five foot tall book shelf. The Blockbuster service is considered by most people that are serious about rentals to be a vastly inferior service. Best reserved for light foots at the best of times. However if you are such a light foot chances are you would just use a set top box, and order out through pay per view.

I have to agree with other posters Sony would probably be better off building their own service from scratch so that they can at least offer some real benefit, or better yet form a partnership with another online mailer. There are a few, and if Sony were willing to put forward the scratch they could have a comparable service within a year.

I would say if Blockbuster is the best that Sony has going for them then they haven't put enough work into the problem. Whether you like Microsoft or hate Microsoft they made the solid play. They got the best service, the most affordable service, and best of all they probably did it for a mint less then Sony will have to pay out to get a comparable service on their console.

I would say this if Blockbuster is the way Sony decided to go. Then Sony most obviously does not get it. Which Sony has been accused of far too often this generation.