By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blockbuster may be sony's answer to netflix?

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/Elbowing-Into-the-Set-Top-Scene-Q-and-A-With-Blockbuster-CEO-Jim-Keyes-65310.html

Are Sony and Blockbuster looking to form an alliance to bring Blockbuster's streaming video offer to the PS3? We'll know by 'early next year' says Blockbuster.

Sony and Blockbuster have some history together already. You may recall that Blockbuster was one of the first retailers in North America to decide that they were going to be supporting Blu-ray on a much bigger scale than HD DVD. That announcement really got the ball rolling in Blu-ray's favor at the time.

Fast forward a year and we have Netflix signing streaming deals with every manufacturer they can find including an exclusive game console deal with Microsoft. Netflix has signed deals with TiVo Inc, Samsung , LG Electronics.

Now comes word from Blockbuster that, in the wake of their launch of Blockbuster OnDemand, they are actively seeking a partnership with Blu-ray player manufacturers. With Samsung and LG already in Netflix's corner, could this lead Blockbuster to seek out Sony as a BD player/game console entry into the market?

Unlike Netflix's "Watch Instantly" feature, the Blockbuster on-demand service will be open to customers who do not subscribe to its DVD-by-mail service.

Blockbuster Chairman and Chief Executive Jim Keyes said,

"The service is essentially a rebranding and expansion of Blockbuster's Movielink.com Web site, which offers about 10,000 on-demand movies for download to personal computers. About 2,000 of those titles, such as recent DVD releases "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2" and "Get Smart", can be downloaded to TVs via Blockbuster OnDemand. Blockbuster also is pursuing deals to package the new service with Blu-ray players and is considering alliances with video game console makers, but is not ready to disclose the details."

mM
Around the Network

probably not,
the playstation video store is good enough

I can belive it. Seems like sony gets closer to blocky everytime i go in there.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

The phrase you've bolded doesn't serve to advantage the customer in comparison. Netflix subscription costs $8.99 p/m for unlimited movie downloads. Blockbuster rents (streams) movies at individual prices between $1.99-$3.99, so theoretically you can spend $8 on 2 movies or as many as you can download. I'll take the subscription fee thanks.

seems like a good move but i rather they use all their time and effort into making their own service better cuz psn alone has the potential to be better than microsoft's netflix cuz half the movies on netflix are sony which can't be watched on the 360.

Around the Network

u no i always thougth blockbuster was bias, like i used 2 believe it loved the 360 then i went to my local blockbuster and man it had liek 20 ps3s!

kunaixhaku said:
seems like a good move but i rather they use all their time and effort into making their own service better cuz psn alone has the potential to be better than microsoft's netflix cuz half the movies on netflix are sony which can't be watched on the 360.

There was a licensing issue at launch with Columbia a subsidiary Sony Pictures group, but that's been resolved and all Sony Pictures movies can be streamed on 360.

"Considering alliances with video game console makers" regarding blu-ray? Who CAN they be talking about?

I'd never heard of the Blockbuster streaming service until just now...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

i hope so. Netflix is charging me a extra 1$ a month for Blu Rays. and the last three i have gotten have been cracked.

PSN: B_U_L_L_D_O_G_G

XBL: BiggBully

Wii: 6629 9857 7201 4139