By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem this generation

Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

So... wiiware and virtual console are bad things?

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Thats your opinion and you have a right to it but I think you are wrong. I love my Wii and the games on it.

Around the Network
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Games as in Platformers, Music, Adventures, Lightgun shooters, Point & Click, Retro, Golf, Soccer/Football, Puzzle?

Just asking. Some people seriously think that only shooters are games.

Smashchu2 said:

The other thing is this console war. Really, this isn't a game of risk despite what everyone wants to think. This is a buisness. It's about money, not the number of boxes sold. Yes, the number sold is importaint, but people only look at certain veriables to determine how successful a console is. Many people will say the XBox beat the Gamecube (yes, becuase the game industry is some kind of battleground), yet Nintendo made FAR more money. The industry, of course, doesn't care about this and only sees boxes and BIG TITLES.

In the next few months, money will play an increasingly important role in the console war, with especially high impact on Sony.

Well, it's already having an impact actually. Sony probably won't cut their prices for a while because the company as a whole is in trouble and will have to do some restructuring around the economic crisis and unfavorable exchange rates for Japanese exporters.

It may also affect Nintendo negatively, but to a much lower extent since Nintendo has very high profit margins and has built a sizable warchest compared to its smaller expenses as a smaller company.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Games as in Platformers, Music, Adventures, Lightgun shooters, Point & Click, Retro, Golf, Soccer/Football, Puzzle?

Saying that HD consoles only have shooters is just as bad as saying that Wii only has shovelware.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Saying that HD consoles only have shooters is just as bad as saying that Wii only has shovelware.

Where did I say that?

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Where did I say that?

I thought it was kind of implied with that last line... :/

--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Where did I say that?

Not at all.

I responded to the guy who said that the HD consoles where better based on the games. I think Wii can easily match (and surpass: lightgune - point & click - platformers - retro) most genres.
However shooters is the main genre where the Wii is clearly and utterly trumped. So that made me to ask the question whether the dude only considers shooters to be games, cause then he'd have a point.

BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Games as in shooters,rpg:s,racers,adventures,sports games,action games,strategy games.. at least. Nice to know that a lightgun shooter is not a shooter. If I'd go with your style, I would get a lot longer list. Golf games, soccer games, retro games... really. :)

Also I guess you know that hd-consoles have also some other games than shooters?

BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

Where did I say that?

Not at all.

I responded to the guy who said that the HD consoles where better based on the games. I think Wii can easily match (and surpass: lightgune - point & click - platformers - retro) most genres.
However shooters is the main genre where the Wii is clearly and utterly trumped. So that made me to ask the question whether the dude only considers shooters to be games, cause then he'd have a point.

Well, he does have a point, even though he made it in an unnecessarily trollish manner.

Wii is also falling behind in JRPG's, WRPGS's, Strategy games, Fighters, Racers, Sandbox, Action, Stealth and... etc. :P
And these are much more popular and relevant genre's than point and click and lightgun...

--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
BengaBenga said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Where did I say that?

Not at all.

Well, he does have a point, even though he made it in an unnecessarily trollish manner.

Wii is also falling behind in JRPG's (ToS: DotNW), WRPGS's, Strategy games (Fire Emblem), Fighters (Brawl), Racers (Mario Kart), Sandbox, Action (NMH), Stealth and... etc. :P
And these are much more popular and relevant genre's than point and click and lightgun...

Oh sure Wii is not THE system, neither is the 360 or the PS3. I never said that to be the case. However the ungoing dismissal of the Wii's library is pathetic. My reply was purely meant to show that there are lots of genres that ARE present on Wii.

WRPGs is definitely missing on Wii (I'm playing Mass Effect right now and it's one of the best games I ever played). For JRPGs it's sad, but it's sad on all consoles. 360 has some good games, but it's all pretty mediocre so far compared to last gen. Stealth as a genre is a bit over the top, and also not very present on HD. PS3 has MGS4 and that's about it (maybe Splinter Cell). Realsitic Racers is also very dire on Wii, but Mario Kart is an excellent racer, just as Brawl is an excellent fighter (I think the highest reviewed fighter this gen).
So everyone can make those lists but it really isn't so bad as everyone, including the "serious" media, points it out to be, that's all I wanted to say.

And for next year Wii has some amazing games. I mean if we call horror a genre Wii has two or three very promising games coming. Popularity of a genre doesn't matter to me. I love lightgun games, so I'm happy they're being relevant again.

@Rol: LOL!!!

@Esa: The VC is an incredible feature that no hc gamer should dismiss like you're doing.