By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've given up on Sony taking 2nd place

CGI-Quality said:
@ Comrade

Interesting read, very thorough :)

Thank you.  I just like to clear the air with people to let them know that I really am not, nor have ever been a fanboy.  I honestly would never touch my XBOX again if Sony's PSN was as good as LIVE.

I just really think the average person doesn't care about the cost-to-quality ratio.  People just want to buy a system that they can afford right now.  That's why the recent 360 price drop is just too much for Sony to overcome.  The 360 is cheaper to make (it's really second class, cheaper technology) and they also make a killing off of XBOX Live to supplement their price drops.

Sony is in a self-created quagmire because they did choose to make the PS3 the best system out there (with the added expense of the Blu-ray player inside) and they shot themselves in the foot by making the PSN free.  They don't get the added revenue of the online service, and now that they have made it free, they can never charge for it (even if they do make it better than XBOX Live) because PSN users would never accept it.  You can take something that cost money and make it free, but it's nearly impossible to take something that you were offering for free and then change your mind and charge for it.

I think that Sony needs to overhaul the PSN and make it their number one priority... don't make it as good as LIVE, make it leaps and bounds better than LIVE, and keep it free.  And then turn around and sell the entry level PS3 a sub $300.00 console and supplement the profit loss with more exclusives.

I don't know... just the opinion of one man.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

good....but I haven't. I think it will.

but that isn't something nagging me a lot....its just my prediction...if its true I'll get to play brilliant games in the coming years on the PS3....if it isn't I'll still get to play brilliant games in the coming years on the PS3.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

NJ5 said:
RPG said:
NJ5 said:
RPG said:

Were the Gamecube and Mega Drive successors of two 240 million (combines of course) selling consoles? No......

So when does this fantastic brand name power kick into effect?

When the price decreases, brand power does not make people retarded and of course lets not forget the fantastic situation the economy is in right now.

The competition can also lower prices in order to keep the price advantage. At what point do people become crazy about the PS3 because it got a price cut?

The 360 HAS to lower prices to keep any advantage and the Wii does not, it simply shows why 360 sells compared to PS3. How do you expect me to know what price PS3 will start selling huge numbers? I am simply saying brand power means that one should never count the console out of second place, especially when the console currently in second place is selling only due to being half the price of PS3.

Be honest here, if the 360 and PS3 were at equal price which do you think would sell better and why?

Also think about this. the box has had to basically pull out everything in its bag to keep competing with PS3. I mean hack and slash prices. using every game idea out there to take control. if ps3 dropped price with the game line up they have coming out M$ can only drop the price until they are broke to stay alive... The PS3 has not put up a bad fight. for only being two years old.

Soriku said:
I always thought the PS3-360 war was stupid becsuse they get the exact same third party games anyway, with a FEW exceptions.

Yes lets completely ignore the first party developers of Sony and MS. :/

Around the Network
RPG said:
Soriku said:
I always thought the PS3-360 war was stupid becsuse they get the exact same third party games anyway, with a FEW exceptions.

Yes lets completely ignore the first party developers of Sony and MS. :/

lol

RPG said:

The 360 HAS to lower prices to keep any advantage and the Wii does not, it simply shows why 360 sells compared to PS3. How do you expect me to know what price PS3 will start selling huge numbers? I am simply saying brand power means that one should never count the console out of second place, especially when the console currently in second place is selling only due to being half the price of PS3.

Be honest here, if the 360 and PS3 were at equal price which do you think would sell better and why?

I think that says more about the Wii's appeal than it does about 360's ;)

If the 360 and the PS3 were selling for the same price, either the 360 would have more features, the PS3 would have less features or Sony would be headed for bankruptcy. All those three scenarios would imply a different battle which we can't judge without knowing the specifics.

If you mean "which would sell better in a parallel universe where the PS3 with more features cost the same as the 360 to manufacture", then I'll grant the PS3 would sell better.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

No, never...........Even if i have to buy all the stock of PS3 left not bought at bestbuy, It will finish 2nd goddammit, just for my own ego.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

"Did Nintendo's brand name help it come close to the PS2 during the Gamecube era?"

By- Nj5

Im pretty sure despite the huge gap the gamecube was in second place. Which is what he lead up to say that may happen for the PS3.

As far as I've read NJ5's post concerning sony's or PS's stance he's always trying to stomp any positive spirit about the PS brand down to the ground.

All I want to know is why?

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

NJ5 said:
RPG said:

I think that says more about the Wii's appeal than it does about 360's ;)

If the 360 and the PS3 were selling for the same price, either the 360 would have more features, the PS3 would have less features or Sony would be headed for bankruptcy. All those three scenarios would imply a different battle which we can't judge without knowing the specifics.

If you mean "which would sell better in a parallel universe where the PS3 with more features cost the same as the 360 to manufacture", then I'll grant the PS3 would sell better.

Well I only care of your parallel universe prediction, agreed that the PS3 would be the better selling console. ;)