By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A reason why FPSs are so successful

SaviorX said:

A reason why they play first person shooters so much, is because they have an inablity to do things in real life.

What's the deal with this comment? Can't this apply to just about any hobby? Think about all competition in general, like sports, for example. Do the people that play football do so because they can't get "real jobs?"

@Griffin: That's entirely dependant on the game. The ones that are deep/balanced enough for tournament play are obviously mainly skill based. Besides, stomping on noobs online isn't the only way to play these games (though it is often satisfying ).

Around the Network

ill never get laid because i play fps games :o

shio said:

wow, who is the "retard" that needs 1.5 seconds to make a headshot?? An average Counter-Strike player can do it in like 0.2 seconds.

Hey Savior X, was this your inspiration to make this thread?

I thought a certain study showed that many FPS players enjoyed the sensation of being shot at.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

First Person Shooter games (as a genre) are one of the most brain-dead genre on the market. There are exceptions to this but most first person shooters have no puzzles and are remarkably linear games where you walk around shooting stuff with little or no strategy involved.

sigh, if a PC gamer would say that it would have some merit. Because there are truly deep and strategic games on that platform that make the gamer think:

RTS like Starcraft, business games like Rollercoaster Tycoon ..., Civilization, Sim City, and the unfortunately now dead adventure genre...

But from a console gamer this sentence would be ridiculous. (Don't know what you are therefore the would). Where are the console games that make you think?

Do you talk about the 3-4 puzzles in Action-Adventures like Tomb Raider? (Which should be the second biggest genre) or the really deep party game genre (Yeah Carnival games if you want to do something more intelligent than FPS) How about arcade and Jump&Run games like Mario Galaxy jump, jump jump again? Or JRPGs with endless dialog and ad nauseum repeated fights? The "puzzles" these games have are so basic its ridiculous. There are games that let you cook food (Cooking mama), walk around town and collect purple hats (Animal Crossing), garden and you have a problem with the FPS genre? Oh my god.

If you think those games are in some way more intellectually stimulating than Half-Life2 you live in a weird galaxy. FPS like Bioshock, Thief, Half-Life prove that FPS can be as varied and intelligent as any of the other genres.

And besides we are talking about GAMES. There is nothing wrong with blasting away a couple thousand aliens. Because its fun! Serious Sam was an amazing game because it didn't pretend to be something more than mindless fun. Because we play to relax (at least I do) If I want to be intellectually stimulated there are things like work or programming, or reading or ...

Around the Network
Kyros said:
First Person Shooter games (as a genre) are one of the most brain-dead genre on the market. There are exceptions to this but most first person shooters have no puzzles and are remarkably linear games where you walk around shooting stuff with little or no strategy involved.

sigh, if a PC gamer would say that it would have some merit. Because there are truly deep and strategic games on that platform that make the gamer think:

RTS like Starcraft, business games like Rollercoaster Tycoon ..., Civilization, Sim City, and the unfortunately now dead adventure genre...

But from a console gamer this sentence would be ridiculous. (Don't know what you are therefore the would). Where are the console games that make you think?

Do you talk about the 3-4 puzzles in Action-Adventures like Tomb Raider? (Which should be the second biggest genre) or the really deep party game genre (Yeah Carnival games if you want to do something more intelligent than FPS) How about arcade and Jump&Run games like Mario Galaxy jump, jump jump again? Or JRPGs with endless dialog and ad nauseum repeated fights? The "puzzles" these games have are so basic its ridiculous. There are games that let you cook food (Cooking mama), walk around town and collect purple hats (Animal Crossing), garden and you have a problem with the FPS genre? Oh my god.

If you think those games are in some way more intellectually stimulating than Half-Life2 you live in a weird galaxy. FPS like Bioshock, Thief, Half-Life prove that FPS can be as varied and intelligent as any of the other genres.

And besides we are talking about GAMES. There is nothing wrong with blasting away a couple thousand aliens. Because its fun! Serious Sam was an amazing game because it didn't pretend to be something more than mindless fun. Because we play to relax (at least I do) If I want to be intellectually stimulated there are things like work or programming, or reading or ...

how about hitman, viva pinata? I know hitman can be done run and gun but to get the most out of the game takes careful planning 

and civ, simcity, C&C have all made it to the console... i owned civ2 both sim city and sim city 2000, and C&C/C&C red alert for the console. 

granted i think they are better on the pc.... there was a period of time i didnt have a computer to run those games and the console filled that void... now i have civ4, simcity4, c&C 3, europa universals rome. and quite a few others even old titles such as galactis emperium 2

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Shooters are popular because they give you your "rush" quickly and often. The same reason why Diablo 2 is popular also apply to shooters, you jump straight into the action.

Tease.

Kyros said:

I'm both a Console and PC gamer, I have played videogames for over 2 decades, and First Person Shooters are not games which involve deep thought ... That isn't saying there are a lot of games out there that are not brain dead, but the difference in thought to be successful in most First Person Shooters and Carnival games is not that different.

There are exceptions to this, for example the first Half-Life (as well as the Metroid Prime series) took a lot of puzzle elements from Adventure games; on the other hand most First Person Shooters (including Bioshock) involve a repetitive process of walk into room, shoot everything that moves, walk into next room, shoot everything that moves, etc ... When well executed (like Bioshock) you don't notice how braindead the game is because they give you enough story elements to keep you occupied, but this doesn't make them somehow deeper than most casual games.

Lol funny offensive post , I think it simply has something to do with our male hunter/warrior instincts. People fish, paint-ball, play or watch competitive sports, etc.

A war movie or a war game are both forms of entertainment, playing a FPS is more interactive.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Actually, I hunt in real life... and I can hit a deer from 100-yards like it's nothing... and I happen to love FPS games. Therefore your stereotyping is way off.

I actually have quite a few buddies of mine who are in the military who kill terrorists in COD4 and over in Iraq as well, so, yeah, like I said, you're way off.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya