By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii not competing!

I think 3rd parties are realizing there are greener pastures on Nintendo's console right now. Why would they support a bunch of "hardcore" PS3/360 owners if they can only buy 14 million consoles total? The Wii has sold 10 million so far, and is on track to outsell the 360 + PS3 put together.

So, if each game on the Wii is cheaper to produce, and there is a bigger audience on the Wii, where will you develop your games? (Think PS1)

Around the Network

Northstar, there's really no word for that second to last post other than 'wrong'.

"I really don't see the guy that wants a PS3 or 360 saying nah i would rather get a Wii."

You see this a lot on message boards, among those who consider themselves 'hardcore gamers'. People project their preferences on to the market.

Face it - this is exactly what's happening. People are looking at the 360 and PS3 and saying, as you put it, 'nah'. There's no reason to think that virtually everyone buying a Wii is either a Gamecube owner or a new gamer, which is what this implies. I mean, come on - the thing has already almost matched the Gamecube in worldwide sales. Sure, Nintendo's expanding the market, but seriously. It's painfully obvious that people are buying a Wii who were traditionally Sony gamers.

The vast majority of consumers buy only one system every generation. What exactly has happened to all of the traditional early adopters if they haven't bought a Wii? Do you think that Nintendo is bringing in more new gamers than there are old gamers on every other system?

I don't know that anyone has hard numbers for this sort of thing, but I'm sure that almost everyone here can give you reams of anecdotal evidence.  Every single person I know who only owned a PS2 last generation has expressed absolutely no desire for the PS3 or 360, and many have nothing but good things to say about the Wii.

ok the thing is alot keep saying casual gamers boutthe ps2 is why it sold 140+ million units which in fact if you read closely to all the reports and comments about hte ps2 the first two years it was released you would see it wasnt the games at all it was the dvd player part of the ps2 that sold the units. i know 6 guys that has 2 ps2's and doenst play a single game on the systems they use it as a dvd player. id say bout 75% of the ps2's sold was just for the dvd player aspect. which if you notice game sales the majority of sales were only 100,000 units fora game with a user base or so called casual gamers wouldnt the majority of games sell well over 1 million apiece? this is what explains it. the wii hit the casual market but hit that market that the atari2600 was in a long time ago

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Joelcool7 said:

Well back in 2005 when Nintendo said that their Nintendo Wii would not be competing with 360/PS3 you couldn't help but roll on the floor laughing your butt off. Even us loyalist Nintendo fans laughed our heads off "Are you kidding Nintendo not competing".

It was the beginning of what would be an intresting two years. When the Wii was unvieled at E3 2006 I was like what the heck. I loved the idea and starred in awe at what would possibly be the greatest innovation in gaming since the NES. But I still thought the Wii would be competing directly with the 360/PS3.  The Wii appeared to have some killer games on the way and while the visuals were down abit it really didn't seem to matter.

But now half a year after launch, I have come to realize. Nintendo's first party games have been great but for the most part third parties have failed sure theirs the odd hit coming and the odd decent game already released but its just not good enough. I found myself loving my Wii sooo much but missing the classic controller and the visuals of the 360.

So this month I bought an X-Box 360 Elite, its not competing with my Wii. I have a few games I plan to buy this year (BattalionWars , Mario:Galaxy , Smashbros:Brawl , Halo3). So is it just me or was Nintendo right? Is Nintendo actually not competing, look at the charts the Wii is tearing up the charts but honestly is it competing with the 360. Nintendo isn't even targetting the same user base targetting casual gamers over Microsoft hardcore. Nintendo and the competition seem to have very little incommon this generation.

So was Nintendo right, after half a year of watching the industry is Nintendo really competing on a consumer scale. Sure its competing a little bit financially but is it truley competing for our time or are people realizing that the industry is no longer black and white. Do we now need at least two consoles every generation? 

Its competing, the fact that I have a Wii makes it more likely that I will not buy a 360 or a PS3 this gen, in addition its competing for developer time and resources the better the Wii does, the less new games will be designed for the 360 and PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

It's competing for the simple fact that developers must allocate their resources accordingly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised