By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 Price Cut is Not Going to Help Sony in Europe

aug17th said:

sophism:a  confusing or illogical argument used for deceiving someone

"Once the 360 acceptance happened, it was irreversible. The bias against the 360 is gone forever. The PS3 can and will drop its prices, but from now on the PS3 and the 360 will be evaluated on their merits without the original bias that hampered the success of the 360 for its first 3 years in Europe."

therefore:

"The PS3 price cut is not going to help sony in Europe"

This is not really a logical consequence. What are you assuming here?

360 price cut -> 360 acceptance -> ps3  perceived superiority gone -> ps3 won't see even with a price cut

I see a problem with this, even assuming like u want that the perceived ps3 advantage is gone u want to conclude that a price cut wouldn't help ps

this is pure sophistry, completely illogical argument 

The argument is

360 price cut -> 360 acceptance -> 360 bias gone forever -> ps3 price cut will not reinstate the bias -> PS3 price but will not get the PS3 to the dominant position it enjoyed before.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
Squilliam said:
You guys don't understand what he means when he says "won't help". Hes not arguing that that the price cut won't increase sales what I think hes saying is this.

"A pricecut in Europe won't save the PS3"

So essentially if what hes saying is true, the Xbox 360 will continue to sell more as people are accepting it as a viable alternative to the PS3 and that a pricecut by the PS3 may only achieve parity rather than cause the PS3 to outsell the Xbox 360 in that region.

oh god, please tell me you mean wont save the ps3 FROM the wii and not the 360 PLEASE! if the answer is 360 then LMFAO! doesnt matter what anyone thinks or says or if they love ps3 or 360 this is a fact! and everyone knows it! if ps3 was £200 it would absolutly rip the 360 into another galaxy!

Yeah, if the PS3 was $265 U.S before tax in England it probably would, but they won't cut the price that low, and if they did I would sell all my shares in Sony if I hadn't already.

Tease.

I'm sure the same could have been said of nintendo last 2 gens...please!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

The PS3 is literaly unaffordable for a large percentage of the european population especialy not , it is the most expensive console released this gen yet it has outsold the 360 consistently for most of this year ( it's far cheaper rival)

You have to look at price points as well as price cuts , even a £100 ($200) price cut on the PS3 would still make it more expensive than the 360.

A price cut wouldn't help Sony .... right .

well this gen proves it, its not the most powerful system that wins, its the most afforable that wins. however the console war is not over yet, we have to wait to see what sony is planning for 09 before we can judge who will win

Around the Network

Never say never,PS3 could get a price cut and sell like Wiis!

KylieDog said:
So the price cut works for MS but not Sony?

If the PS3 dropped to £200 it would flatten 360 sales.

This, also agree with PooperScooper

Reading many of the responses, it seems like many did not read the OP very well (it was long, i'll give you that).

The point is not that a price cut in the PS3 will not help move units. Sure it will. Many.

The point is that the PS3 for almost two years enjoyed a status of "the only acceptable HD console" in the continental Europe market. The 360 had virtually no traction. If you wanted an HD console then the PS3 was the default choice. But that complete dominance is now gone and no PS3 price cut will correct it.

The price cut of the 360 was super important. It created such a gap between the 360 price point and the PS3 price point that forced the European gamers to pick it up and try it. But once they started doing it en-mass in September, the 3 years hesitiatations and bias about the 360 completely evaporated and they jumped all over it.

The old bias is gone. The 360 is an acceptable HD console in the continent, just like in the US or the UK.

This means that from here on, the HD competition in continental Europe will follow the same lines as the competition in the UK and in the USA where both consoles are viable in the market.

Yes, a price cut will help the PS3 compete, but the price cut will not help the PS3 regain its old dominance in Europe. It will just have a similar effect that it will have in the UK and the US - a tight race at best.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Nintendo primarily destroyed Sony dominance in Europe. Not solely MS alone.

@ OP

It doesn't make sense. A price cut right now is impossible with sony's current financials but saying a price cut won't help them saleswise is a bit strange to me especially with the 360's current sales boost.

Cheap prices make people think less before they buy. I honestly won't be watching game reviews on gametrailers if games cost $20 not $60. Cheaper prices would sell anything. It's simple economics.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler