By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo slow down the amount of Wiis in Japan and send them to NA?

SaviorX had me thinking about that thread on supplies of Wii/WiiFit sold out for xmas and black friday. SaviorX's idea could help the Wii increase in America during the holiday season. The holiday season is the #1 time when the Wii gets in some amazing sales. Not to say they never do weekly, but this year they get in some record-breaking holiday hardware sales. SaviorX's said,

"They should slow down the amount of Wii's being sent to Japan and allocate them here in the USA, where this holiday is so much more important for sales.

As for the stockpiling, there is one day where most people will want to buy those Wiis all at once (Black Friday) so retailers must stockpile to meet the demand. That is the day where they could actually sell all the stock they have left."

Who else thinks this is a good way to increase American sales of the Wii on BlackFriday/XMAS sales.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

Good to increase sales in USA but probably not good to pull them away from Japan considering the dollar isn't doing so hot against the yen right now.

@setnintendo, I am not saying all of them. Just some of the extra supplies.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

This post I just wrote in another thread says "no".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Yea then if they were just extra supplies then probably be best to push them to USA/Europe. I haven't kept track of Japanese sales too much but I am guessing they are a little down/flat.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
This post I just wrote in another thread says "no".

Well, Nintendo can't sell what people won't buy. This week's sales were at 35k, after the release of Animal Crossing, which can be considered a big title that should spur sales. If it's release only causes 35k in sales, how many units must Nintendo keep putting into Japan? I'm not implying quitting or anything, I'm saying that I don't forecast any 50k weekly sales for the Wii coming up in Japan, so I don't see why those unsold consoles can't be sent somewhere else.

Nintendo produces 600k consoles a week (assuming there are 4 weeks counted for in that month). So, since the Japan sales aren't enough to warrant 150k units being shipped there (I don't know the actual number), the weekly amount of units being put into Japan should be around 75k ( I want to say less).

It doesn't matter if I shipped 30k into Japan or 300k, if only 25,000 people are going to be buying units, I would have to put those unsold units somewhere where they can be purchased. I don't see how this was different from when Nintendo put more Wii's in America to complement the Super Smash Bros. Brawl release. Just because Ninty needs more sales doesn't mean they can just automatically get them.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Wheres real talk!?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

@colonelstubbs, I will be doing a thanksgiving edition tomorrow.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

You are talking about 30-40k units a week at best. This assumes you halt all shipments of Wiis to Japan. This would not have a big effect in America, but could cause the Japanese market to be upset. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

@SaviorX: They probably aren't shipping more than Japan needs. They also have to create enough stock for the holidays there (although Japan's holidays are not as important).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957