By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Sports v Super Mario Bros

Wii Sports has now sold over 33 million copies, Super Mario Bros 40 million.

Anyone think Wii Sports could overtake Super Mario Bros and establish itself as the highest selling game in history. The odds look good from my point of view.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Around the Network

Seems like a safe bet.

But I want to go on record saying that I believe Wii Play shall do it as well

Wii Fit? possible, but I doubt it.

If it continues to come bundeled with the Wii, then undoubtedly yes.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Is this a joke question? Or are you asking if it will do it before the end of this year? Because if you are asking if it will ever happen well I can't think of anything in this world that is more certain to happen than Wii Sports overtaking Super Mario Bros.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Will definitely happen, possibly before the end of this year.

It will also take over the total of Super Mario Bros.(NES), Super Mario Bros. deluxe(GBC) and Super Mario Bros.(GBA) at some point next year.

Around the Network

Aye! Shame really because Super Mario Bros is a better game. Dated Graphics, but top Gameplay, definitely has replay value.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Yes it will and fast!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Before Wii/DS the list was as this (top 10 best sellers)

1. SMB (NES) 40.24M

2. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB) Pokemon Red/Blue 33.33M

3. Tetris (GB) 30.26M

4. Duch Hunt (NES) 28.31M

5. Pokemon Gold/Silver (GB) 23.11M

6. SMW (SNES) 20.61M

7. SM land (GB) 18.14M

8. GTA:SA (Ps2) 17.48M

9.  SMB3 (NES) 17.28M

10.  The Sims (PC) 16.08M

NES - 3 titles

GB - 4 titles

SNES - 1 title

Ps2 - 1 title

PC - 1 title

And by generation

3rd gen - 5 titles

4th gen - 3 titles

5th gen - 1 title

6th gen - 1 title

Looked like fewer and fewer games were able to sell a lot. Now, after this gen, I believe we will see something around this.

How I believe the list will be (reasoning after the list).

1. Wii Sports (Wii) number doesn't matter - it is first.

2. SMB (NES) - 40.24M

3. Wii Play (Wii) 33-40M

4. Wii Fit (Wii) 33-40M

5. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB) 33.33M

6. Nintendogs (DS) 30-33M

7. Tetris (GB)- 30.26M

8. Duck Hunt (NES)- 28.31M

9. Pokemon Gold/Silver (GB)- 23.11M

10. NSMB -(DS) 20-23M

NES - 2 titles

GB - 3 titles

DS - 2 titles

Wii - 3 titles

So by generation.

3rd gen - 4 titles

4th gen - 1 title

5th gen - 0 titles

6th gen - 0 titles

7th gen - 7 titles.

Reasoning.

1. Wii Sports (Guaranteed 50M +)

2 + 3rd + 4th SMB/Wii Play/Wii Fit

Wii Play does now only sell 1/3 of the number of consoles sold on a weekly basis. The Wii would need to sell over 100M to make it beat SMB (no, not 120M, as Wii Play is higher on AR now than 1/3).

Wii Fit is huge, but it is not certain how long it will last. Still, it is likely that both Wii Play and Wii Fit will break 33M.

Nintendogs is possible too, but that depends on how much longer the DS' life is.

5th + 6th + 7th. Nintendogs/Pokemon Blue/Red and Tetris

Nintendogs is still selling 50-100K weekly. It "only" needs 13M more to get to Pokemon. Still, Nintendogs is slowing down, and sold a totally crappy 3M so far this year. This means that is should be selling 4-5M a year. I thus think that it should beat 30M, but 33M might be too much. Of course, Nintendogs could end 7th

8th. Duck Hunt - no question about it. Possibly Wii Fit/Nintendogs could get a sequel or something or stop up completely and sell 28M "only"

9th/10th. Has to beat Pokemon Gold/Silver (23M) and Super Mario World (20.61M)

NSMB is at 16.21M. Sells good overall, and should manage to overtake SMW. It is unlikely that it will make 23M though, and if another title beats NSMB and sells more than it, NSMB will not make it.

About (16.31M) the same as NSMB, but I don't think it will manage to beat NSMB in the long run, and does thus not have a change of entering the top 10.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

The difference between Wii Sports and Super Mario Brothers. Yes, I guess Wii Sports might pass SMB in sales someday soon. However, it will never pass SMB as far as being regarded as one of the greatest games of all time goes. And back in the day, I remember kids playing hour upon hour of SMB. How many people play Wii Sports 8 to 10 hours a day, 7 days a week?

So, the NES became one of the best selling consoles of all time because of the fact that it was packaged with Super Mario Brothers. However, Wii Sports has become one of the best selling games of all time only because it was packaged with the Wii.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

There's no doubt, it's just a matter of time.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089