By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Looks like Columbia is back on Netflix 360

Well, so goes the theory of Sony holding them back.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/25/columbia-pictures-flicks-mostly-back-on-for-xbox-360-netfl/

We never got a satisfactory answer for why they disappeared in the first place, but it seems the majority of the Columbia Pictures' movies on Netflix Instant Watch lists suddenly switched to "not available on Xbox 360" are once again open for streaming to all devices. The Karate Kid series, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day and others now stream to Microsoft's box, however Columbia Pictures movies tagged with the "available through Starz Play" logo -- including Bad Boys and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story -- are still out. Hopefully the remaining relevant parties are contacted soon, as Detectives Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett have work to do, but this is a great start.

Around the Network

Probably just trying to use the timing to gain some negotiation advantages as M$ and Netflix try to get the deals done with as quickly as possible. But it is good that the deals are coming along quite quickly.

Doesnt sony own columbia pictures? This is a bad move for them IMO, its hurting the PSN because now XBL contains all of sony's movies, giving the PSN little to no advantage in the Downloadable movie market.

mM

I don't really know if Sony can block them in the first place. Sony may own the rights to the movies, but other parties are involved such as the actors, writers, etc. I don't think it's good business to deny those people from making money because of your own product battles.

Sony lost their competitive senses a long time ago. I'm really starting to think that Sony could careless about the Playstation division.

Around the Network
loy310 said:
Sony lost their competitive senses a long time ago. I'm really starting to think that Sony could careless about the Playstation division.

There is most likely a large chunk of money involved with these licenses.  Would be senseless to throw it away.

So can we put this whole tomfoolery to rest now?

Sigh.

Sony would be stupid to limit revenue streams atm. So its good they're getting back on board.

FaRmLaNd said:
Sony would be stupid to limit revenue streams atm. So its good they're getting back on board.

LOL.  Yeah they need to scrap together whatever they can.

leo-j said:
Doesnt sony own columbia pictures? This is a bad move for them IMO, its hurting the PSN because now XBL contains all of sony's movies, giving the PSN little to no advantage in the Downloadable movie market.

For the 100th time, Sony Pictures and Sony Gaming are two completely different entities.  I've been saying this all along.

It only hurts Sony Pictures by not letting 360 owners stream their content through Netflix.  True, it could help Sony Gaming, but Sony Pictures would rather let them both have the service.