By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS and 70% Marketshare

Anyone else think the DS will hit 70% marketshare before January?  I just seems to be eating marketshare every week and I don't see it stopping.  Question is, when will it hit the big 7 0?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

It's been insanely close a couple of times now, but everytime the PSP gets an upward adjustment, it got put back a bit. I think it'll do it soon.

Well with european numbers as just released yesterday, it shouldn't take too long. I think it is possible until christmas.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

RolStoppable said:
The DS won't reach that mark this year. The total sales of both systems are already quite high, so it takes a lot of systems sold for the percentage increase, especially because the DS's marketshare is already so big.

So what you're saying is, the DS will saturate and the PSP has so much momentum that it's too late?

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
RolStoppable said:
The DS won't reach that mark this year. The total sales of both systems are already quite high, so it takes a lot of systems sold for the percentage increase, especially because the DS's marketshare is already so big.

So what you're saying is, the DS will saturate and the PSP has so much momentum that it's too late?

IF the PSP were to stop selling since the last site update, the DS would need to sell 6.9m units to take 70%.

Now, 7m isn't imposible over Christmas as it sold 8m last year. However, the PSP sold ~3m last year, and it will probably perform similarly, while I don't see a giant 3m unit increase in DS sales.

EDIT: it really needs to be more of a 5m unit increase over last year.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Learn to understand what you read... he was saying that the install base of the 2 combined is so huge that it would need a good ammount of time and huge sales to gain in %.

IMO it will not happen this year, and I actually doubt that it will ever happen. But again, it all depends on how well both Sony and Nintendo can push their systems to the consumers... ( and Sony is on a pretty low platform when it comes to pushing systems... ).

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

DS will reach 70% market share just not this year. Sometime next year, probably when the DSi gets released outside of Japan.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

I guess I should have done the maths too, looking at those numbers it is clear that it won't reach the mark yet, if ever.

It makes perfect sense.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said:
I guess I should have done the maths too, looking at those numbers it is clear that it won't reach the mark yet, if ever.

It makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't say it will never pass the PSP. Currently it sells to 78% of handheld buyers. So adventually it will pass 70% (if sales stay similar to last year), and I wouldn't be too shocked if it passes around April 09.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)