By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 will have no install...

it's almost as if the first parties know something about the hardware that they're not telling the third parties. I find the disparity between first and third party titles on the ps3 to be really huge, much more compared to the disparity with 360 titles.

i wonder why Sony is keeping this secret to themselves (if there is one anyway).

Around the Network

Cool.

On another note, just unlocked the scout class in the beta. Win!

One of the oldest Members of the site.

bugrimmar said:
it's almost as if the first parties know something about the hardware that they're not telling the third parties. I find the disparity between first and third party titles on the ps3 to be really huge, much more compared to the disparity with 360 titles.

i wonder why Sony is keeping this secret to themselves (if there is one anyway).

It seems very few third parties are taking advantage of streaming and most are relying on installs instead.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

DJames said:
Cool.

What? How much have you been playing?!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

akuma587 said:
bugrimmar said:

It seems very few third parties are taking advantage of streaming and most are relying on installs instead.

This is an issue with multiplatform development, as best I can tell.  The strength of Blu-Ray is that it allows for developers to store data (textures and stuff) on the disc at a lower compression, allowing it to be streamed directly from the disc without eating through (as many) clock cycles to uncompress the data.  However, most multiplatform games are devleoped around the 360's DVD drive, resulting in the ISOs of both the 360 and ps3 versions of a multiplatform game being no larger than 6.8gbs, the maximum amount of data that can be stored on a DVD after all of Microsoft's security data.

Because the 360 DVD drive has a higher peak read speed than the ps3's BD-rom drive (the ps3's drive reads at a constant rate, while the 360's drive reads at a variable rate), developers are forced to compensate via installs.

I'm not sure what the hell happened with MGS4, though.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

^ If it's like Uncharted, what could be improved? ;)

Even the multiplayer beta's load times aren't that bad, and the retail build should be much more optimized. Singleplayer will be a whole nother story.

Well, Uncharted did have some (minor) texture pop at the beginning of each level.

outlawauron said:
DJames said:
Cool.

What? How much have you been playing?!

Way too much.

i just wonder why Sony is not teaching this to third parties so that their games wouldn't require a mandatory installs like some 3rd part games.

bbsin said:
makingmusic476 said:

^ If it's like Uncharted, what could be improved? ;)

Even the multiplayer beta's load times aren't that bad, and the retail build should be much more optimized. Singleplayer will be a whole nother story.

Well, Uncharted did have some (minor) texture pop at the beginning of each level.

My main complaint with Unchared was the screen tearing.

It wasn't near as bad as Heavenly Sword's, though.

Imo, enabled V-Sync should be mandatory these days.  That, 720p, and a locked 30fps, if not 60fps.  After that worry about the detail.

WELL LOOK AT CoD4 10 Mg install & it was perfect then the Maps is what made it more Megs but still i want a BETA of KILLZOnE 2 sorry 4 the caps no time 2 erase :)

PSN PANEK_KLS