By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - do you think gaming business is going to die?

eventually, there will be another crash, like in 83.

Around the Network

yeah in 2074

jimbo101 said:

i have bad feeling about the gaming business and i heard only 20% of video games are profitable. I think we might be seeing our last next gen consoles (at least from ps3 and 360)

The gaming business is healthy.  I did some work for a very big music company a few years ago.  Do you realize that only 3% of music artists are profitable to the music companies?  And out of that 3% only 5% make enough money to "earn a living" solely from music?

People often get mad at game publishers, but a lot of people don't understand the risks they take.  They put up the cash for everyone to be able to see games ship.  Not all games are great, but most start as a great idea needing money.  Publishers provide that money.  Big budget games like Gears, Halo, MGS, Resistance, The Marios, Zeldas, etc. would never exist without publishers willing to feed millions into a hole that might not pay off in the end.

Eventually it could. Not soon though.

I think the industry is mature enough that it will never die off ... At the same time I do believe that the industry will change a lot over time, and many of the largest and "most important" companies may be unable to change to match the market and will fail.

Around the Network

i cant DIE!

Well, I don't think the gaming business is going to die. At the most I'd say sales might slow down for awhile, but I don't think that it would ever die.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

Shadowblind said:

Wait, so its gone from 4% to 20%?

Right....I think its time we stop listening to those kinds of articles.

The logic that article used was

20% of games that are started get released

20% of games that are released make a profit.

Although the actual wording they used was

20% of games that are released make a significant profit.

So there's alot of games that make a small profit or break even

I think that we will start seeing a lot less developers and possibly one less system soon, but die? No.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Die, no. Crash, maybe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957