By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS: We Did Near 3 Times the Volume of the PS3 in the UK alone last week.

For us in EMEA [Europe, the Middle East and Africa], there's a been a considerable uptick in what we're spending in terms of media, almost effectively to launch levels again. We’ve seen this huge uptick in our velocity, which has taken us considerably ahead, certainly of PlayStation 3, right across the region. In some geographies, the U.K. specifically, we were almost three times Sony’s volume last week, for instance.

So it’s generally very good. We’re really happy with our performance. There's a lot more still to come, of course, so there's no complacency, but it's great to be at this course and speed.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-microsofts-chris-lewis

Around the Network

Yeah, cos erm, the 360 isnt drastically cheaper than the PS3 at all is it

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:

Price excuse isn't valid anymore sorry.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

@colonelstubbs: Not that excuse again. The price of the PS3 can only be blamed on Sony.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Have to agree with the others really. Price excuse no longer can cut it as if you look at the % of people who actually do own a PS3 they are not buying games for their consoles in the same volume as people are for 360 and Wii. Last week alone game sales for 360 were 4.5m which was actually lower then the week prior. Compared to the 2m on PS3 that was actually a 22% increase on the week before. Those stats show that gamers who game buy more ratio wise on the 360. That to me shows the whole price thing is total bollocks.

However you can hardly blame Nintendo or Microsoft for the PS3 costing more then those 2 consoles combined here can you.

Around the Network

Sounds like a little adjustment is needed in Europe then, at least for UK.

Interesting numbers incoming for at least the next month or two.

colonelstubbs said:

Do you want to blame Microsoft for this?

I don't think it's Microsoft's fault that they designed a system that was made to be powerful, yet affordable to the consumer, while Sony did the exact opposite (powerful, yet costly).

Microsoft made a lot of mistakes with the hardware - most namely the RRoD-prone first and second generation 360's (were at 4th gen now with Jasper). However, they still designed a system that could see drastic price reductions, and allow the system to both be financially viable (not lose MS money), but affordable for the consumer.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Last holiday season Microsoft faded after the releases of Halo 3, Mass Effect, and the supposed "shortages".

This year 360 momentum seems to be gaining as we move through the holiday season with no shortage of supply. Sony is in for a rough ride for the rest of the year. The exclusives are out and they are not having much overall effect for Sony.

It will be really interesting to see if they can get back any real momentum. The year of the PS3 has been delayed another year, and it looks like the momentum is detriorating rapidly. The game delays are catching up to Sony and Microsoft seems to be in the driver's seat now. I'm not sure if KZ2 and a price cut is enough anymore. Especially since the 360 will still be cheaper, Halo Wars and GTA IV content will arrive at the same time followed up with Star Ocean and multi-platform Resident Evil.

MS momentum is very good for this year, maybe we will see some adjustment