By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "PS3 being sold because of BR? Failure."

mibuokami said:

If you look at every single BR released by Sony Pictures (in Australia at least) they all have the sign 'also playable on Playstation 3' or something similiar. Its just common sense to associate your brandname as an integral family and I don't why see why the billboard which is obviously advertising the BR movies and NOT the PS3 shouldn't also attach some reminders to the consumer that the PS3 has additional functionality. (ie it can play BR).

Problem is if you ONLY want to watch BR, why the hell would you shell out $200 extra on a PS3 when a stand-alone player can well suffice? The only reason you would get a PS3 is that you like the option that it can play BR AND games, which means that while you might have purchased it for the blueray you certainly would be interesting in gaming too? Otherwise why bother forking out the extra money?

Good example would be my friend who intends to purchase a PS3 when the Dark Knight comes out, because he wants the BR version of it, at the same time he will also be purchasing GT5 Prologue and Motorstorm PR, simply because... 'hey I got the PS3 might as well get some games too eh?'

I respect you opinion but I also respectfully disagree with it. I think that a very small minorities might have bough the PS3 initially as BR player but in today's market, certainly not anymore.

This

Around the Network

I have seen the AD's and you are right on the money. Sony is pushing Blu-Ray and not games on the PS3. The truth is at least 25% (not actual figure) of PS3 owners purchase it for Blu-Ray not games. I know three of my friends have PS3's and don't or very rarely play games. Heck, until my 360 broke down (RRoD) I rarely used my PS3 for gaming other then the occasional exclusive, I used it mainly for BR.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

It's clear that the studios are hoping for a big BR adoption to start this Christmas (as no doubt are Sony) and given that brand recognition from PS1/2 means we already know PS3 can play games its obvious (I think) that Sony would want to push BR a lot right now.

Personally I think they need to push more reinforcing ads around gaming, but that's just my view. In fact if I was Sony I'd use a three tier campaign right now with separate ads/themes focused on PS3 purely for games, PS3 for the family (which would include looking at home videos, pictures, etc as well as family gaming) and PS3 for BR/Media.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...