By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million Iphone games purchased

scottie said:
scottie said:

Anyway, the Iphone is not really a threat to either Ninty or Sony, as Apple is going for market expansion, but my point is that the Iphone is very much a viable gaming platform, and should become more so in the next year or two

Wow, seraphic and tabsina. Did you even read my post?

@ everybody who actually read my post and responded in a constructive manner, I kinda assumed when I first read it that they would not count demos as games, but you're probably right really.

@ Tabsina (ps, I will bold words that you must read. Why would you look at revenue?

If you're looking at it from a VGChartz perspective, you count sales

if you're looking at it from a perspective of a game company considering which to develop for, you count profit/manhours the game took to make. If for example you could make 10 Iphone games that each make $100k profit, surely that's better than making a single PSP game that will end up making anywhere between -500k and 1000k

er.. i wasn't arguing your point.. if anything i was agreeing with one of your points, (that it isn't a threat to sony and nintendo - and adding reason behind it based on the revenue, which is why i brought revenue up).. and furthermore, i was adding to the discussion by wondering how that 50mil actually means in terms of $ for the developers...

sorry if you felt that i was trolling, that really wasn't my intention

Btw, if it helps, i have an iphone and have bought 2 games (well.. programs) myself (along with a whole bunch of free games), so i definitely don't have anything against the prospect of more devs bringing games to the phone

@Oyvoyvoyo: I completely agree, my $10 thing was purposefully conservative for the exact point you made, that any higher, and hence more realistic estimate, would truly illustrate the difference in revenue.. and that is just taking account of one game on the ds

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I'm not saying the Iphone isn't a viable option (it is as viable, if not more, than WiiWare), but your info didn't really say that.

Ehm.. so I guess you didn't read the linked article?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

tabsina said:
scottie said:
scottie said:

Anyway, the Iphone is not really a threat to either Ninty or Sony, as Apple is going for market expansion, but my point is that the Iphone is very much a viable gaming platform, and should become more so in the next year or two

Wow, seraphic and tabsina. Did you even read my post?

@ everybody who actually read my post and responded in a constructive manner, I kinda assumed when I first read it that they would not count demos as games, but you're probably right really.

@ Tabsina (ps, I will bold words that you must read. Why would you look at revenue?

If you're looking at it from a VGChartz perspective, you count sales

if you're looking at it from a perspective of a game company considering which to develop for, you count profit/manhours the game took to make. If for example you could make 10 Iphone games that each make $100k profit, surely that's better than making a single PSP game that will end up making anywhere between -500k and 1000k

er.. i wasn't arguing your point.. if anything i was agreeing with one of your points, (that it isn't a threat to sony and nintendo - and adding reason behind it based on the revenue, which is why i brought revenue up).. and furthermore, i was adding to the discussion by wondering how that 50mil actually means in terms of $ for the developers...

sorry if you felt that i was trolling, that really wasn't my intention

Btw, if it helps, i have an iphone and have bought 2 games (well.. programs) myself (along with a whole bunch of free games), so i definitely don't have anything against the prospect of more devs bringing games to the phone

@Oyvoyvoyo: I completely agree, my $10 thing was purposefully conservative for the exact point you made, that any higher, and hence more realistic estimate, would truly illustrate the difference in revenue.. and that is just taking account of one game on the ds

Ahh, well my reply could be sumarised to

Developers care about profit, not revenue

NiKKoM said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I'm not saying the Iphone isn't a viable option (it is as viable, if not more, than WiiWare), but your info didn't really say that.

I did, but I missed the fact that there was 2 pages. Still, after reading the last page, not a lot changed. They were obviously trying to present the Iphone in the best way possible, and then listing a 5 dollar game selling 500 units a day isn't really super impressive (that's slightly less than SMB does on VC), and considering it is so early out, with little competition, it isn't that impressive.

Super Monkey ball seems to be the definately best selling one, but it isn't doing anything overly amazing, I'm sure the GC game earned them at least double, and possibly triple, of what this one is likely to.

PS: Does Apple not take any royalty for  Iphone games?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

An intressting article about Iphone games:

The Future Of iPhone Games: Apple, EA, Ngmoco Talk
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21187

future looks good!

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
NiKKoM said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I did, but I missed the fact that there was 2 pages. Still, after reading the last page, not a lot changed. They were obviously trying to present the Iphone in the best way possible, and then listing a 5 dollar game selling 500 units a day isn't really super impressive (that's slightly less than SMB does on VC), and considering it is so early out, with little competition, it isn't that impressive.

Super Monkey ball seems to be the definately best selling one, but it isn't doing anything overly amazing, I'm sure the GC game earned them at least double, and possibly triple, of what this one is likely to.

PS: Does Apple not take any royalty for  Iphone games?

Are you comparing with one of the best games ever with a game which we never heard of & developed by just one guy.. that is impressive...

yes they do.. i think 30%

But we should all remember that the AppStore is 5 months old and the SDK 6 months available.. so that's just a few months development time... it's not like the Appstore and it's games are already 17 months here.. it will grow.. and for some (if you make the right game) it will be very profitable..