By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - if all the systems were the same price which one would sell the most?

The Playstation 3 obviously.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
tuoyo said:
kunaixhaku said:

The Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3. Personally i think the ps3 cuzz of ps2's success, value and hardware doesnt freakn break on lil kids and make them cry( like some 360's) lol. What do you guys think?

Not another of these threads.  Let me take a wild guess - you are a Sony fan.  Correct?  Because imagining fantasy console prices seems to be a hobby of PS3 fans.

Anyway to answer a question that has no place in reality and has been asked a million times -

(i) if consoles were $1 Wii would sell the most

(ii) if $600 PS3 would sell the most

(iii) if consoles were $250 Wii would sell the most

Seconded.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

I would say the PS3 would be the biggest seller in that scenario.

The PS3 of course. I mean really, the Wii only sells so many consoles due to it's great price point. Look at how the 360 is mopping the floor with the Wii since it is now selling for less. Now imagine this scenario times 750 billion and you would understand the unbelievable ass kicking that the Wii would be getting.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
The PS3 of course. I mean really, the Wii only sells so many consoles due to it's great price point. Look at how the 360 is mopping the floor with the Wii since it is now selling for less. Now imagine this scenario times 750 billion and you would understand the unbelievable ass kicking that the Wii would be getting.

Lol.  I don't think I can imagine a number as big as 750 billion though. 

Off topic where have you been?  Haven't seen you in the Mario Kart GPs or on VGchartz.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I haven't been at Mario Kart GPs but I hang around here occasionally.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

1 thing is for sure,,,that 360 would become like the original XBOX

donathos said:
mrstickball said:
The Wii.

Why? It's selling more, revenue wise, than the Playstation 3 is by massively wide margins. It's passed the Rubicon in terms of "dominant console".

Even the Playstation 3 at a $250 price point would not topple the Wii, because the Wii is the go-to console. Microsoft proved that even though a $200 price point can certainly boost sales, that even having the superior console doesn't matter - consumers at large made their choice. And Word of Mouth will drive sales since the Wii is so prevalent in the consumer's eye.

Now, if all consoles were equal today, I am sure the PS3/X360 would sell much closer to the Wii, but they would not overtake the Wii. Maybe 2 years ago, when this started, the Playstation 3 would sell the most - but of course, your asking the dumbest question in the book - "What would sell better - a Porche at a Kia price, or a Kia at a Kia price?"

Except for this: I don't agree that PS3 is to Wii as Porsche is to Kia.

The Wii doesn't offer lower-quality entertainment than the PS3; it offers different-quality entertainment than the PS3. That's what accounts for the sales differential, not the cost. Once, a long time ago, I sold newspapers door-to-door. I was trying to figure out how to pitch them, and kept coming back to the fact that the paper was cheap. A sales manager pulled me aside at one point and told me that people don't decide to buy something based on price -- they decide to buy something because it answers their needs. Once someone believes that a product will answer their needs, price becomes a secondary consideration.

Look: as this generation approached, I had to decide which console to buy. I could've afforded either the PS3 or the Wii. My then console was the PS2. I love Final Fantasy, and the prospect of the next in that series & other series that I love (like Metal Gear) made me pencil in PS3. I even set aside money in an envelope marked PS3, I'm not kidding.

However, one night a friend & I were talking about videogames and he told me about how the Wii would operate (I was very out of the loop with video game news at the time). When he described the remote, etc., I just couldn't believe it. For the first time in a long time, video games had captured my imagination.

I was sold on the Wii (& didn't buy a PS3), not because of its cost, but because of the product itself.

I don't think you understand why I made the porsche-kia comparison.

Both are cars - they, in effect, do the exact same thing. The difference is that the Porsche costs about 4x as much thanks to the needless (some say) bells & whistles associated with what the Porsche "is".

And like you said, people buy based on needs, rather than cost. The Kia is the type of vehicle (as many compacts and sub $20k cars are) that works, gets you where you need to go, and does it affordably. The Porsche does the same thing - but has a bigger engine, and more features - some may care about, but most don't. Your still going to drive ~65MPH in either vehicle, so there's a limit to how 'good' the Porsche is. Both cars have their target audience, and features to win over that category. Personally? I'd take a sub-$20k car over a Porsche, but that's just me.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Haha, no. Wii would sell the most. But I do think the PS3 would start to beat the 360 if it was the case.

tuoyo said:
kunaixhaku said:

The Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3. Personally i think the ps3 cuzz of ps2's success, value and hardware doesnt freakn break on lil kids and make them cry( like some 360's) lol. What do you guys think?

Not another of these threads.  Let me take a wild guess - you are a Sony fan.  Correct?  Because imagining fantasy console prices seems to be a hobby of PS3 fans.

Anyway to answer a question that has no place in reality and has been asked a million times -

(i) if consoles were $1 Wii would sell the most

(ii) if $600 PS3 would sell the most

(iii) if consoles were $250 Wii would sell the most

someones depressed, need a lil imagination in your life buddy? and i guess more than 80% of the people in this thread said ps3, they are all fanboys too right? your the only normal human being in the world right? and since your sayin the wii i should call u a nintendo fanboy now? and if you don't like "another one of these threads" why u in it?