By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NXE and RROD (Serious Discussion)

I have no idea, I hope mine is a better chip set too. I should be getting it back early next week. Or at least I hope I do!

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Around the Network

My launch window 360 just got the RRoD during a Live party chat on the NXE dash, but I can't recreate it. I've been having black screen GPU problems for months now, so I went ahead and did an online request for a coffin.

Is the fact that I can't recreate the RRoD going to be a problem when I sent it in? Or will the age of my console grant me some ... leniency?

Unless the new interface significantly increases the amounr of processing the 360 has to do while idling in the dashboard I can't imagine how it could cause a RRoD. The RRoD is caused by parts expanding and contracting due to excessive heat and consqeuently breaking. A software upgrade cannot have any direct affect on the hardware in that way. Looking at the NXE I can't say that it looks overly intensive from a processing stand point, and it certainly is not comparable to many games out for the system. It is human nature to see patterns where none exist, so that is likely why people are blaming the NXE for hardware failures that would have happened regardless.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

If it was NXE it would have happened when you updated. Your console just crapped out, that's all.

Gnizmo said:
Unless the new interface significantly increases the amounr of processing the 360 has to do while idling in the dashboard I can't imagine how it could cause a RRoD. The RRoD is caused by parts expanding and contracting due to excessive heat and consqeuently breaking. A software upgrade cannot have any direct affect on the hardware in that way. Looking at the NXE I can't say that it looks overly intensive from a processing stand point, and it certainly is not comparable to many games out for the system. It is human nature to see patterns where none exist, so that is likely why people are blaming the NXE for hardware failures that would have happened regardless.

Well forgive me if i'm wrong but couldn't poor/faulty coding cause NXE to use abnormal amounts of processing power  ?

Around the Network
Million said:

Well forgive me if i'm wrong but couldn't poor/faulty coding cause NXE to use abnormal amounts of processing power  ?

In theory, yes. In practice, almost certainly not. The GUI is constantly being run in the background I believe (at least part of it is for certain) and any abnormal increase in processing would translate into gameplay problems for games that are using a large portion of the system resources already.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

bodhi14 said:

I happily got my 360 on January of this year, and I love it dearly. However, just two days after getting NXE my Xbox got RROD while I was playing Gears of War online. I'm not sure if it's NXE's fault, but I'm really sad, RROD seemed like a fairy tale before today. Is NXE increased RROD rates and what exactly causes RROD?

Ill have to say i know 2 people whos boxes have been rrod by gears2

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
bodhi14 said:

I happily got my 360 on January of this year, and I love it dearly. However, just two days after getting NXE my Xbox got RROD while I was playing Gears of War online. I'm not sure if it's NXE's fault, but I'm really sad, RROD seemed like a fairy tale before today. Is NXE increased RROD rates and what exactly causes RROD?

Ill have to say i know 2 people whos boxes have been rrod by gears2

Thats the thing, it wasn't Gears 2, just plain ol' Gears

Enjoy