By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Home beta impressions

One thing I want to bring up and I will make a OP about when I have more time, is Home has to become part of the OS.

I am saying when you turn the system on Home will laod with the XMB. No option turn it off.

You can either set your system to launch directly into disc, or to the OS, but the OS will have Home in it.

This is not a popular thought on the Beta forums, but it can not be about that for Sony. They have to do what is right for the buisness. They have fumbled their lead away in every area of the digital world by making bad moves. With Home they are in the driver seat, and they have got to take advantage of that by making sure MS, and Apple can't catch up.

Everyone of you here should know if it was Apple or Microsoft in this situation right now they would slam the door on the cometition, and Sony has to do this. I don't know if it will be on this Xbox or the next, but a Home clone will come to Xbox, and it will be part of the system OS. If Sony doesn't act now and make Home an application on the level of Itunes in it field, then MS will take this idea, and they will cash in on it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Sorry for the double post but I have one more thing to add.

Trophies and Home integration

As of right now this is not a reality, and I have not even heard what it is going to end up being, but there is a huge bag of awsome that it can turn into. The PSN levels are going to translate into Home somehow, and that is going to be what keeps the hardcore going back. Trophies will end up being even more addicting than they are today once the system is fully in place, and once that happens it will make achivments look very dated.

I really hope Sony adds major incentive to this thing. Like level ten and above players get to chat with the guys at Naughty Dog, or anyone Lv 15 and above by E3 is invited to E3 at Home. The possabilities are endless. Devs could have specials were the first 10 players to platinum on a game get a special reward. To add to the value you could even sell stuf you win to other players.

For an example your get 100% of the trophies in Killzone 2 and it gives you a special look for your charictor, but your are not interested in this. So you can go ahead and post it on the buy, sell, trade page of the of Home.

This is kind of reaching, and nothing is confirmed or even mentioned, but these are real possabllities that Home opens that just wern't there before. Basically what I am looking at is what does Home offer, and what is an easy direction for SOny to go above the obvious. Once you are inside I think the lights will come on, and Home will be one of the most loved things on PS3.

some nice thoughts here and in earlier post... Btw as you said u r in HOME for quite sometime so have u given ur feedback and suggestion during the beta testing time.?

"If you've been a tester for awhile, you'll know that they have more stuff. They just took it out to test the core system itself..."

"they are testing different things throughout home right now, having certain things running to make sure things are good. they will add more in the next week."

"All i am going to say in this thread is: BETA!

Once you know what a BETA is, maybe you won't complain."

This is far from the final version , Sony are mostly concerned with testing the load right now.

I do love the idear of home I just have one question though to the people who know more about this than me. If I want to play a online game or watch a game trailer do I have to walk to some sort of area or can I just do it with one click like the store is now. Same goes for online games I wont have to walk my guy to some area all the time to just play a online game I cant just do what I do now?

Just checked my email and saw the invite. Gonna check it out this evening

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

@Noobie

I am always on the beta forums, I hope they listen a little.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Its been really fun so far. They need to reimplement the unique game areas, but I see a lot of potential, and a lot of the potential has already been fully realized.

The amount of things you can do with your character is awesome. I can literally have a blast making my character stand their and dance for five minutes. You can string together so many different functions and they adapt to whether you are sitting, standing, and even to what particular type of dance you are dancing. The character functions get an A+.

The mall needs work, but all the stores are there and the layout is beautiful. They just don't have any items there yet. All the interface is already there, and is working beautifully, so this seems like something that can be easily fixed.

The Bowling Alley is just plain awesome. The arcade games are fun, there are a lot of different pool tables, and you can bowl! Unfortunately, it can be hard to get in on a game if a lot of people are there. This can be remedied by having more parallel Home communities. The Bowling Alley gets an A-.

I haven't been able to test out the launching into a game from Home, but the interface seems to already be in place. I will hold off on judging this, as I don't know how well you can sync up with other players.

The Theater is pretty well done too. My main complaint is that they only have one video streaming in there as of now. If you had several different options of what you could play at once, then I would like it better. As of now, it gets a B+.

The graphics are pretty good, and I haven't run into any kind of slowdown. It takes a little while to load in every single person in the area (they appear as hollow people until there skin loads), but I haven't experienced anything that suggested that Home itself is buggy. Graphics and stability get an A-.

There is a lot of potential for customizing your living space. As of now, the objects in your set are kind of limited, but all of the physics and implementation functions are in place. As of now, I'll give it an A-.

There are a lot of chat options, you can text, type, chat with a headset, interact with the different character functions, and talk to a lot of different people. You can mute others pretty easily too. The chat implementation, while not perfect, couldn't be done in any different way that would make it better. I give it an A.

There are advertisements posted on the walls and such, but a lot of them are pretty good. A lot of streaming videos and the posters are all tastefully done and aren't obtrusive. I give the implementation of ads an A-.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

IDK, I think lame (so far) is pretty lame. It's very bare bones, and I know that it's a beta but I'm not sure if things that they add will "spice it up", well for me anyways. One thing I realize while I was in Home waiting for the supposed "thing" to happen at 6-8 PST yesterday was the communication between people. I can easily see people meeting new gamers through Home and playing games. Hell, I was talking about R2 yesterday with a couple ppl and if game launching was up, it would've been awesome to play R2 with them.

This IMO is Home's "selling point" because it helps u meet more gamers to play with and u get to communicate with the rest of the playstation community. Talk about what games ur looking forward to or spread the word about a great game that ppl should go buy. I have like around 40 or so friends on my PSN buddy list, some that I know in real life, and some that I met through forums and such, and I'm sure that if Home was released last year, I would have like around 50+ atleast.

I see alot of potential, hopefully it comes into fruition

"home it pointless a glorified text menu"

"3d games that pointless!, 2d makes the job right!"

"joysticks for what?!, dpad you can move anywhere"

and the list goes, if did stuff didn't go on we still would be living in wood houses doing nothing.

I got into the beta, and am downloading now.

Will post impressions later.