By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says that there are now 14M PSN subscribers, more than that of XBL.

superchunk said:
lol, that's because PSN is free w/ the PS3 and since up to this point those that are buying the PS3 are willing to spend $400-$600 on a game machine, I would bet that nearly 100% of them have internet. So it will always have a higher network attach rate.

Question is, who is making more $$ off of their networks? MS, Sony, or Nintendo.

MS has the annual membership costs + arcade and movies for some time now.
Sony has a smaller library of dl games than MS or Nin and just now started movie dl.
Nintendo has a larger dl game catalog than either from the best old school consoles.

hmmmm. I would bet MS is making the most $$ from it.

Im not saying your wrong in any way. Just pointing out an interesting fact. I work at a local game store. Out of the 100's of Ps3 users that come in I try and converse with most of them that I can. You would really be surpised in the amount of PS3, 360 and almost all Wii owners that don't have internet or dont have it hooked up to thier systems. I would have to say about 20% of the people with PS3 around my area dont. We are not in the county and internet is avalable to almost all of them. They just dont see the need to get online with it. So there ya go not everyone that spends money has money left over to pay for thier internet. :D

"Leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game company’s, who don't know or care about you!"

Around the Network
auxerre said:
JaggedSac said:
I do not think MS has 14 million gold subscribers.

This was a topic on the 1up Yours podcast today and they were discussing whether the 14 million number was Gold or Gold/Silver, and they said they were told repeatedly that it was just paying Gold members.

Microsoft should clarify this in their own press release, however.

Wow, that is actually very surprising.

Personally I dont believe it, because I can't imagine the connectivity ratio being that high. Built in wireless would help the PS3's connectivity ratio. But it still wouldn't be that high.

XBL's 14 million is gold and silver, and they always say most of those are gold subscribers.

JaggedSac said:
auxerre said:
JaggedSac said:
I do not think MS has 14 million gold subscribers.

This was a topic on the 1up Yours podcast today and they were discussing whether the 14 million number was Gold or Gold/Silver, and they said they were told repeatedly that it was just paying Gold members.

Microsoft should clarify this in their own press release, however.

Wow, that is actually very surprising.

I dunno...I've seen lots of secondary gold accounts created with trial cards and 1 month cards on trueskill based games like Halo 3.  It's not like those 14 million accounts are all exclusive to single people.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Look at the figures, its obviously 14 million gold accounts.

17 million PS3 owners and 14 million of them on PSN (Free)

23 million 360 owners and 14 million of them on XBL (Gold & Silver?)

DOesn't make sense, the 360 selling 6 million more consoles and having the superior online gaming service not to mention its what Xbox is all about. To have the same amount of accounts despite a 6 mill lead???

That 14 mill Figure must be gold accounts.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
@Gnac

Oh yes and you cant have more than one account on XBL?

haha you just got told Gnac!

seece said:
Look at the figures, its obviously 14 million gold accounts.

17 million PS3 owners and 14 million of them on PSN (Free)

23 million 360 owners and 14 million of them on XBL (Gold & Silver?)

DOesn't make sense, the 360 selling 6 million more consoles and having the superior online gaming service not to mention its what Xbox is all about. To have the same amount of accounts despite a 6 mill lead???

That 14 mill Figure must be gold accounts.

not necessarily, i mean...halo 3 has a legendary single player, same with CoD4!

coolestguyever said:
leo-j said:
@Gnac

Oh yes and you cant have more than one account on XBL?

haha you just got told Gnac!

A strawman argument is hardly "getting told". Read my response to that.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

im still not sure whether microsoft counts the silver accounts.

superchunk said:
lol, that's because PSN is free w/ the PS3 and since up to this point those that are buying the PS3 are willing to spend $400-$600 on a game machine, I would bet that nearly 100% of them have internet. So it will always have a higher network attach rate.

Question is, who is making more $$ off of their networks? MS, Sony, or Nintendo.

MS has the annual membership costs + arcade and movies for some time now.
Sony has a smaller library of dl games than MS or Nin and just now started movie dl.
Nintendo has a larger dl game catalog than either from the best old school consoles.

hmmmm. I would bet MS is making the most $$ from it.

question is, how much do YOU pay to play ur games online.

im currently enjoying world at war, ive played at a friends house 360 world at war, both online experiances are same, apart from 1 huge detail.............i play for free and when i want to, im not tied down to any cost.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...