By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Why the Wii Won't Get a Price Cut

Sorry, double post.

Around the Network
chapset said:
until i see a price cut, nintendo won't see my money

You hear that, Nintendo?  If the Wii doesn't have a price cut, you won't get any money from chapset.

Be afraid, Nintendo.  Be very afraid.

Pipedream24 said:

Nintendo could raise the price of the Wii to $299 and it would still fly off the shelves. They have done a masterful job of marketing and supply manipulation to create high demand for over 2 years now.  Why cut the price when you're making money hand over fist at the current price? 

This is not oil. Supply manipulation doesn't work here.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Pipedream24 said:

Nintendo could raise the price of the Wii to $299 and it would still fly off the shelves. They have done a masterful job of marketing and supply manipulation to create high demand for over 2 years now.  Why cut the price when you're making money hand over fist at the current price? 

I didn't mean that in a bad way. Quite the opposite actually. Nintendo should teach a class on how to created demand for a product.

Retailers will drop the price on their own and pack games with the console, it happens all the time now.

Around the Network

The going rate for a Wii on Ebay is about $265 free shipping w/ buy it now option. In other words, if you pay more, it just means you have money to throw away.

It's currently not worth selling them on Ebay (flip) unless you're buying them at wholesale prices.

I for one, hope it stays that way, but still expect to see prices climb a bit as Christmas nears as not all regions will see ample inventory. I do believe the days of flipping Wiis for $150 over retail are over though.

If you're an Ebay scalper, any one can tell you the money is in Wii Fit. Costs less plus higher yield per unit. Demand is not expected to be met by Nintendo, whereas demand for the Wii itself should in most regions.

And no, Nintendo can't raise prices under the arrogant assumption that most consumers will pay anything for their hardware. They won't.

Nintendo could release a more expensive value added bundle, but that is not the same thing as raising the price of the base unit.

There is no precedence in console history where a company has been able to successfully raise MSRPs retroactively, two years after debut.

It might be a good idea to plot a demand and supply curve for the Wii, then we can know the quantities demanded and supplied by each price level. It's obvious that the current price is below the equilibrium point.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
It might be a good idea to plot a demand and supply curve for the Wii, then we can know the quantities demanded and supplied by each price level. It's obvious that the current price is below the equilibrium point.

If you're volunteering yourself for the task, by all means; I'm sure many would appreciate it. lol

Pipedream24 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Pipedream24 said:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. Quite the opposite actually. Nintendo should teach a class on how to created demand for a product.

It doesn't matter what you meant. It's still not what Nintendo did.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@Greenmedic88

It's not arrogant to assume people would pay more for a Wii.  How much were they going for Ebay during '06 an '07 during the holidays?  People will spend dumb money on their kids during the holidays.  Do you remember Tickle Me Elmo and Furbies?  Those were freaking stuffed animals that were being sold for thousands of dollars.  And yes I know Nintendo won't raise the price of a system retroactively.  But the free market this holiday will say other wise for the third year in a row.