By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC gaming not dead: WoW expansion first day sales prove it

BenKenobi88 said:
Left 4 Dead will sell well on PC I'm sure.

can u tell me whats special in Left4Dead other than the multiplay ? because i played the demo but i didnt find any other thing special in this game.

Around the Network

Not surprised, the expansion is awesome! I am enjoying it, but soaking it in a bit this time around and not trying to race to 80, like some people. Between Gears 2 and L4D I try to squeeze in some WoW time......wouldn't it be ironic if the GOTY ends up being WOTLK.......crazy, but not far fetched....XD!

12million WoW players on a total of 100+milllion more or less assiduous PC gamers is a very good result, but doesn't speak for the majority of this platform players.
PC gaming always had ups and downs, but the platform won't die easily, it has amongst its weapons a very large user base (although hardcore PC gamers are a minority, but still some tens of millions strong), a huge SW legacy and a continuity more than a decade long (just as DOS had).

Edit:                     ^^ just counting W9x/NT platform

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PC dying? You can't serious, there's a ton of new releases. Personally, I'm not a WOW fan, but I play PC more than any console or handheld.

To put the 12M WoW players in perspective
-- 22 console or handeld games have sold more.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
To put the 12M WoW players in perspective
-- 22 console or handeld games have sold more.

Mike from Morgantown

As I pointed out earlier WoW has sold a lot more than 12 million copies, 12 millions is the number of people still playing the game at this time........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

If anything I think WoW is one of the reasons the PC market is dying.

You do the math.

Neos said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Left 4 Dead will sell well on PC I'm sure.

*looks at thread title*

*looks at ben's post*

I'm confused at the relevance..

This thread is about PC gaming not dead, and WoW as proof?

WoW always sells well...it's pretty much a nonfactor. But Left 4 Dead came out this week and had twice as many preorders as the Orange Box...I'm pretty sure it's gonna sell great.  I'd say that's more proof that PC gaming is not dead, not WoW.

Also, NNN2004, the game is all about multiplayer...and I'd highly recommend playing a full campaign before fully judging the game. And if you can't see why it rocks after that, then it's a lost cause. There's also VS. mode in the full game that demo players didn't get to try...playing as the Infected is really awesome...I find it much more fun to play as a boss Infected while in VS. mode.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Mummelmann said:
11-12 million people bought WoW in total up till now, which is not mindblowing in any way. Look at sales figures for The Sims series, which is more typical PC fare for a more casual audience.
When seen in context with how many PC's are available for people to play on throughout the world, sales for most games are pitiful at best.

PS: I wish Blizzard would finish up some of those other games we love them for, like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, the MMO gamers are getting all the love (yes, I do realize how much money Blizzard are making off of WoW, I'm not an idiot, but I should be allowed to feel a little disappointed with it).

Actually, WoW has sold far more copies than 11 million.

It has 11 million concurrent monthly users. That means 11 million people paid $13 last month. Not including however many have paid/played before, but are not today.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

dolemit3 said:

It's 2.8 million copies on day 1:

Blizzard Entertainment has announced that World of Warcraft's second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first day on sale.

source

Staggeringly striking!  There are merely a small number of games that exceed that.