By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Crazy theories of why the PSP isn't selling extraordinarily well.

nitekrawler1285 said:
Sony needs to advertise psp games. Lumines, Locco Rocco, Patapon, Echocrome could all be hits if they were ever advertised well enough. Honestly Most of Sony's problems this gen has been insufficient advertising. Compared the massive advertising Nintendo and Microsoft have been doing this gen it's no wonder Sony isn't selling far more hardware or software than either of it's competitors.

I think you summed up Sony's biggest issue. Additionally, I think Sony's advertising is largely ineffective. How many times did I see a PS3 commercial and simply facepalm?

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
bdbdbd said:
There are a number of reasons why PSP didn't succeed any better. It's impractical for being big and bulky, it takes too much time to load a game, the games library is too much of a home console library to begin with, DS library is so much better for basically anyone and the system is bought in many cases for other use than playing PSP games, which, along with relatively costly developement, turns off publishers.

@Smokedhostage: For 3rd parties game sales equal profit. No profit equal no games. No games equal no hardware sales.

With this said, I guess the PSP is just doomed. ;_;  Oh well. *Plays his DS*

Yeah, on its way to outsell SNES (and possibly NES) and yet 'doomed'. Your bias is showing, my friend.

FishyJoe said:
Hardware sales are only half the picture though. Software is where the bulk of profits are made. The attach rate is shrinking which is not a good sign for software sales.

But thats the thing... software sales are far from beeing bad... the lack of quality software is the issue IMO. Good to mediocre ports like MIdnight Club LA, Lego Indiana Jones/Batman, SWTFU are all on the route to sell pretty well for half-backed ports, and same is with yearly sport games like Madden/FIFA/PES 09....

Software buyers are there, the fact that games that are rarely rated above 70% are selling well ( true IP matters a lot to ) and lest be honest there are no gams that push the PSP or games that are advertised well on it... LocoRoco 2 was released  last week and not one add for it. I bet that the same will happen with Patapon2.

Games can sell... the first Patapon , GoW CoO, Fifa 08 and CC prooved it ( this year )... yes I know that they are heavy hitters but in the same time they sold well over their profitability line ;)

Im hoping that sooner or later we will see a bigger software support in the west to and games like Ressistance Retribution, Dissidia, Gundam vs. Gundam will further proove my theory that the PSP can sell software, and 3rd party developers will jump on the oportunity ;)

Lets hope that

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Star Scream said:
SmokedHostage said:
bdbdbd said:
There are a number of reasons why PSP didn't succeed any better. It's impractical for being big and bulky, it takes too much time to load a game, the games library is too much of a home console library to begin with, DS library is so much better for basically anyone and the system is bought in many cases for other use than playing PSP games, which, along with relatively costly developement, turns off publishers.

@Smokedhostage: For 3rd parties game sales equal profit. No profit equal no games. No games equal no hardware sales.

With this said, I guess the PSP is just doomed. ;_;  Oh well. *Plays his DS*

Yeah, on its way to outsell SNES (and possibly NES) and yet 'doomed'. Your bias is showing, my friend.

I believe it is.. it's just what bdbdbd says makes me feel that there's no hope for it.

Pixel Art can be fun.

bouzane said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Sony needs to advertise psp games. Lumines, Locco Rocco, Patapon, Echocrome could all be hits if they were ever advertised well enough. Honestly Most of Sony's problems this gen has been insufficient advertising. Compared the massive advertising Nintendo and Microsoft have been doing this gen it's no wonder Sony isn't selling far more hardware or software than either of it's competitors.

I think you summed up Sony's biggest issue. Additionally, I think Sony's advertising is largely ineffective. How many times did I see a PS3 commercial and simply facepalm?

The thing is, they literally spent billions on PS3 and there's no money left for the marketing. It's laughable that we're approaching Black Friday and yet there's no TV advertising for the PSP.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
Pristine20 said:
SmokedHostage said:
bdbdbd said:

With this said, I guess the PSP is just doomed. ;_; Oh well. *Plays his DS*

Psp has already sold enough HW to stay viable. I won't call it doomed. It's also useful for playing ps1 games on the move lol.

I think it's a shame that a handheld has to rely on emulation and piracy to be viable.

Thats a double-edged sword. Sony's lucky they're profiting from psp hardware because it sure ain't selling any serious software. It doeesn't have any excellent software numbers for a format at 40 mil

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Star Scream said:
bouzane said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

The thing is, they literally spent billions on PS3 and there's no money left for the marketing. It's laughable that we're approaching Black Friday and yet there's no TV advertising for the PSP.

True... its a trully missed oportunity... the PSP could generate pretty nice profit, but Sony treats it as dirt... shame...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
FishyJoe said:
Hardware sales are only half the picture though. Software is where the bulk of profits are made. The attach rate is shrinking which is not a good sign for software sales.

But thats the thing... software sales are far from beeing bad... the lack of quality software is the issue IMO. Good to mediocre ports like MIdnight Club LA, Lego Indiana Jones/Batman, SWTFU are all on the route to sell pretty well for half-backed ports, and same is with yearly sport games like Madden/FIFA/PES 09....

Software buyers are there, the fact that games that are rarely rated above 70% are selling well ( true IP matters a lot to ) and lest be honest there are no gams that push the PSP or games that are advertised well on it... LocoRoco 2 was released  last week and not one add for it. I bet that the same will happen with Patapon2.

Games can sell... the first Patapon , GoW CoO, Fifa 08 and CC prooved it ( this year )... yes I know that they are heavy hitters but in the same time they sold well over their profitability line ;)

Im hoping that sooner or later we will see a bigger software support in the west to and games like Ressistance Retribution, Dissidia, Gundam vs. Gundam will further proove my theory that the PSP can sell software, and 3rd party developers will jump on the oportunity ;)

Lets hope that

The software sales are bad relative to just about every other system. The PS3 is already selling more software than the PSP, even though the PS3 has a fraction of the installed base. The attach rate is just plain bad compared to just about every other system ever made.

According to my tastes, the biggest issue with it: Few good games. FF7:CC, Patapon and the Star Ocean remakes are the only ones that interest me, atm. The PSP needs to get more games to sell more!

I also agree with the points you made.

Thanks for effort,you are right at most of parts...
Well Ps2 owners have been said that it gets only games that have been on Ps2 or PS1.Its somewhat true..
Well I have PSP and well all I have been doing past few months with is listening music.But again iPods and other are better at it...maybe.

Take my love, take my land..