By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Wii demand waning? Stock market says "yes"

The article is talking about 4% decrease in Wii Demand from the US. The 43% decrease is beating the 51% decrease of the Nikkei average over the last 12 months. Considering Nintendo's market cap, the rest of the market is doing way worse. Most of the drop comes from the bad overall economy.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

And yet we still have people who seem convinced there is a direct correlation between current consumer demand and the current trading price of NTDOY and vice versa.

Clearly there isn't.

But this season could very well expose the weakness all consumer electronics manufacturers (Nintendo included) are susceptible to in a severe economic downturn.

I'm hoping not, but at the same time, I'm not betting anything more than what I already have riding on it.

*muses*
Stock prices are low.
perhaps it's time to buy?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Did anyone actually read the article I wrote about the economic crisis and its effect on Japanese companies?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

umm.. its only on the way to becoming the 3rd best selling console of all time(atleast) im sure thats a BIG BIG flop for investors

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

Wii is still the laughing console out there which sells more than the PS3 and 360 combined, so I can't really see the demand being "waned". We know the reason now why the Wii is selling so much and that ain't because (hard)core gamers are massively jumping on to it... that's for sure. *Pointing at annoying Wii Music / Fit commercials".

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Wii Music has nothing to do with it. Its most likely 2 games, one is 2 years old and the other one is 1 yo and twice the price of a normal game.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

If 600K+ in a week represents waning demand... time to get some new analysts.

It's all about the game.

FishyJoe said:

Pay no attention that the Japanese stock market is down 4%. Sony is down 4%. Just about every Japanese company is down 4%.

But yeah, some guy said it so that must be the reason it's down 4%.

This.

All panic for nothing. Investors usually follow market trends. There are not a lot of investors that actually know whether demand for Nintendo product is low, they just follow the trend for consumer electronics.

The Dow-Jones slummed on lower consumer demand, which could affect Nintendo. Japanese investors just followed the US. This doesn't mean it actually will affect Nintendo. If it will it will mean a lower demand for videogames across the board. Pachter btw thinks that in a recession more people will buy videogames, because value for money is bigger than say a day in Disneyland.

I believe it. One indicator could be software sales and the last piece of Wii software that has really done well on the charts was released over 6 months ago. But, unless Animal Crossing does extremely well, then none of their Wii holiday games will have done much of anything.