By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Third parties don't "get" the Wii, more

Just want to quote donathos here:

"In the market, the customer is king. If CoD, or whatever else, fails to please, then change the damn design"

I think 3rd parties should know that the Wii market is different from the PS360 market, the old hardcore market, even how good the graphics of a game if it is a shooter it always compared to PS360 versions and thus, giving it a low score.

I think there should be a RE: UC FPS, a Elebits FPS or a game that idea of gamerace awhile ago...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
yushire said:
Just want to quote donathos here:

"In the market, the customer is king. If CoD, or whatever else, fails to please, then change the damn design"

I think 3rd parties should know that the Wii market is different from the PS360 market, the old hardcore market, even how good the graphics of a game if it is a shooter it always compared to PS360 versions and thus, giving it a low score.

I think there should be a RE: UC FPS, a Elebits FPS or a game that idea of gamerace awhile ago...

That's the thing, it doesn't fail to please the HD console crowd and is a proven formula that will sell millions on those platforms...That's what justifies having the A squad working on it.......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

--OkeyDokey-- said:
ItsaMii said:

Summing up. We get less games, they sell less, they cost more, they take a lot more time to be released and their quality is lower than in the PS2 era. If you think the 3 games you mentioned are worth that loss, then I have nothing else to say.

Wanna know what's wrong with what you're saying? You're comparing 9 years of the sixth generation to 2 years of this generation.
And I'd like to know how exactly the quality is lower. Maybe you're just bitter about having nothing to play since Mario Kart in April.

Ok OkeyDokey. I will answer you just because I know that you don`t play dumb (when you say something stupid it comes from the bottom of your heart).

1) There isn`t any 9 year period. It would be 8 even if you considered only the PS2. The GC and Xbox came late in 2002 and they were pretty much dead by 2007. There weren`t a lot of relevant PS2 titles in 2007 or 2008 (Persona 3 and 4, Yakuza 2 NTSC and PAL, Guitar Hero 3, Madden, Pro Evo and crappy multi plats).

2) Let`s try looking at the first 3 years for the last generation concoles. PS2 -2001-2003, GC 2002-2004, Xbox 2002-2004.

SE - The Bouncer, FF X, FF X-2, FF XI, Kingdom Hearts, Unlimited Saga, Star Ocean 3, Drakengard, Front Mission 4, Full Metal Alchemist, FF CC. Grandia 2 and Grandia Xtreme (published).

Capcom - RE Code Veronica X, Onimusha, RE Survivor 2, Onimusha 2, Dino Stalker (spin off of Dino Crisis), Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, REmake, Devil May Cry, Maximo, Clock Tower 3, RE 2 and 3 (GC versions), Resident Evil 0, Devil May Cry 2, RE Dead Aim, Dino Crisis 3, Auto Modelista, P.N. 03, Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Megaman X Command Mission, Viewtiful Joe 2.

Konami - Shadow of Destiny, Ephemeral Fantasia (crappy RPG), Guitar Freaks, Winning Eleven 5, Silent Hill 2 + Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams, International Superstar Soccer 2, Winning Eleven 6, DDRMAX, Metal Gear Solid 2 + Substance, Shadow of Memories, Zone of the Enders, International Superstar Soccer 3, Pro Evolution Soccer, DDRMAX 2, Silent Hill 3, Suikoden 3, Life Line, Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, King Artrur (based on the movie), TMNT 2.

Tecmo - Fatal Frame, Rygar, Fatal Frame 2, Dead or Alive 2, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Ninja Gaiden.

Rockstar - GTA 3, Smuggler`s Run 1 + 2, Max Payne, GTA Vice City, Midnight Club, Midnight Club 2, Max Payne 2, Manhunt, Red Dead Revolver.

Namco - Ace Combat 4, Klonoa 2, Vampire Night, Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4, Ninja Assault, Time Crisis 2, Soul Calibur 2, kill.switch, Tales of Destiny 2, I-Ninja, Time Crisis 2, The Tower of Druagga, Xenosaga (published), Tales of Symphonia, Breakdown, Baten Kaitos, Donkey Konga (developed).

Ubisoft - Tom Clancy`s Ghost Recon, Rayman 3, TC Splinter Cell, TC Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, TC Rainbow Six 3, Beyond Good and Evil, XIII (published), PoP Sands of Time, TC Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, TC Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, TC Ghost Recon 2, PoP Warrior Within.

Compare that to Xbox 360 current library and PS3 library + all announced titles for 2009.

The (fake) HD consoles suck. It is that simple. I would exchange the entire HD library for those 3 years of Capcom games. BTW, I have a dark secret: I hate Mario Kart. If you want to expend 400-500 bucks on something you will regret later, get a pretty hooker with syphilis (as a bonus you get a lot of cool scars to show your friends).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

There is a lot of wishfull thinking in this thread.

What most people don't get ( or don't want to get as they idealize gaming development) is that as the gaming industry has become bigger it's becoming like every other market in this capitalistic society ( wether you like it or not, that's the way it works).

The market is becoming divided between a few big players and one of their key focus is flexing their money muscles by making sure that a tonn of newcomers can't join the party and start competing with them.

That means making game development somewhat expensive.

This is a model they have been unable to apply to the Wii so far as expensive usually ends up being translated as better graphics, bigger world size, more cpu intensive, which is the area where the Wii compares badly to the HD consoles...

All these companies interest ( EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square, Capcom) is that there are only a few of them on the markets so that they each can release a few blockbusters without too much competition...

The more successfull they are following this model, the less likely they are to experiment with the Wii too (the 2 most successfull this gen being Activision and Ubisoft so far in term of profit).

Seriously if I was a big developer I woundn't even port to the Wii my big franchises that are graphics intensive as we are at the point where the gamers that like those franchises have bought a HD console or are considering doing it anyway, independantly of wether they own a Wii too or not..

ItsaMii said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
ItsaMii said:

Summing up. We get less games, they sell less, they cost more, they take a lot more time to be released and their quality is lower than in the PS2 era. If you think the 3 games you mentioned are worth that loss, then I have nothing else to say.

Wanna know what's wrong with what you're saying? You're comparing 9 years of the sixth generation to 2 years of this generation.
And I'd like to know how exactly the quality is lower. Maybe you're just bitter about having nothing to play since Mario Kart in April.

Ok OkeyDokey. I will answer you just because I know that you don`t play dumb (when you say something stupid it comes from the bottom of your heart).

1) There isn`t any 9 year period. It would be 8 even if you considered only the PS2. The GC and Xbox came late in 2002 and they were pretty much dead by 2007. There weren`t a lot of relevant PS2 titles in 2007 or 2008 (Persona 3 and 4, Yakuza 2 NTSC and PAL, Guitar Hero 3, Madden, Pro Evo and crappy multi plats).

2) Let`s try looking at the first 3 years for the last generation concoles. PS2 -2001-2003, GC 2002-2004, Xbox 2002-2004.

SE - The Bouncer, FF X, FF X-2, FF XI, Kingdom Hearts, Unlimited Saga, Star Ocean 3, Drakengard, Front Mission 4, Full Metal Alchemist, FF CC. Grandia 2 and Grandia Xtreme (published).

Capcom - RE Code Veronica X, Onimusha, RE Survivor 2, Onimusha 2, Dino Stalker (spin off of Dino Crisis), Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, REmake, Devil May Cry, Maximo, Clock Tower 3, RE 2 and 3 (GC versions), Resident Evil 0, Devil May Cry 2, RE Dead Aim, Dino Crisis 3, Auto Modelista, P.N. 03, Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Megaman X Command Mission, Viewtiful Joe 2.

Konami - Shadow of Destiny, Ephemeral Fantasia (crappy RPG), Guitar Freaks, Winning Eleven 5, Silent Hill 2 + Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams, International Superstar Soccer 2, Winning Eleven 6, DDRMAX, Metal Gear Solid 2 + Substance, Shadow of Memories, Zone of the Enders, International Superstar Soccer 3, Pro Evolution Soccer, DDRMAX 2, Silent Hill 3, Suikoden 3, Life Line, Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, King Artrur (based on the movie), TMNT 2.

Tecmo - Fatal Frame, Rygar, Fatal Frame 2, Dead or Alive 2, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Ninja Gaiden.

Rockstar - GTA 3, Smuggler`s Run 1 + 2, Max Payne, GTA Vice City, Midnight Club, Midnight Club 2, Max Payne 2, Manhunt, Red Dead Revolver.

Namco - Ace Combat 4, Klonoa 2, Vampire Night, Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4, Ninja Assault, Time Crisis 2, Soul Calibur 2, kill.switch, Tales of Destiny 2, I-Ninja, Time Crisis 2, The Tower of Druagga, Xenosaga (published), Tales of Symphonia, Breakdown, Baten Kaitos, Donkey Konga (developed).

Ubisoft - Tom Clancy`s Ghost Recon, Rayman 3, TC Splinter Cell, TC Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, TC Rainbow Six 3, Beyond Good and Evil, XIII (published), PoP Sands of Time, TC Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, TC Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, TC Ghost Recon 2, PoP Warrior Within.

Compare that to Xbox 360 current library and PS3 library + all announced titles for 2009.

The (fake) HD consoles suck. It is that simple. I would exchange the entire HD library for those 3 years of Capcom games. BTW, I have a dark secret: I hate Mario Kart. If you want to expend 400-500 bucks on something you will regret later, get a pretty hooker with syphilis (as a bonus you get a lot of cool scars to show your friends).

That is purely a question of taste. I would argue that so far this gen has had many quality titles too, maybe not always from the same publishers as last gen...( Activision, Sony Entertainment, Microsoft are nowhere on your list)

Aside from Ubisoft and Rockstar I notice that you only listed Japanese developers. I will agree those have been a lot slower bringing quality titles out this gen but the Western developers have more than made up for it...

Part of the reason those Japanese developers have been slow has nothing to do with HD consoles either but is due to the current state of the Japanese market and the fact that these companies have been devoting a lot of their resources to the handheld market...

Around the Network

"One of the highest selling franchises which has been made with a pretty good effort on the Wii bombs. What does that do?"

Come back in a few month and cod:waw wii will have nearly the same amount sold as xbox360.

z101 said:
"One of the highest selling franchises which has been made with a pretty good effort on the Wii bombs. What does that do?"

Come back in a few month and cow wii will have nearly the same amount sold as xbox360.

That is wishfull thinking

Wii would need 6 months of sales equal to week 1 sales to sell as much as the Xbox360 did in Week 1 for Cod:WaW.

That is provided it can keep selling the same amount every weeks as it did in Week 1 ( which even the Wii games with best legs have never done) and that would require the Xbox360 version to stop selling any unit at all starting today...

ItsaMii said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
ItsaMii said:

Okay 8 years, whatever.

I'm not going to go through all those devs and name everything they've made for HD consoles this gen, but here's Ubisoft:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2, GRAW 1/2, Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia, Far Cry 2, EndWar, HAWX, Splinter Cell: DA/Conviction, I Am Alive, Beyond Good & Evil 2.
That's 13 titles compared to 12 last gen, and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's even more. There is no drop in either quantity or quality, so I don't even know why you used them as an example.

Now tell me, what makes the HD consoles suck and Wii rule? Because it can't be games, graphics, online, value or any other features I can think of.

To be honest, Nintendo doesn't create high quality games of themselves lately either. Wii Music and even Animal Crossing are criticized as being not all too great. True, that most 3rd party devs take the Wii as a place to drop down cheap shovelware to cash in easy money for bigger projects and am happy to see Nintendo will talk to all those devs that its about time they start creating quality games instead. Although I doubt it will do any good. As long as crap games sell, they don't see any reason not to release them.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

This guy is funny. He is complaining about cheap ports and stuff, yet nintendo is publishing old GC-games? Wtf? Oh and what are the top selling titles on wii again? Wii sports, wii play - minigame collections. What are the top selling third party games?

Mario&sonic - minigame collection
Guitar hero 3
Carnival games - minigame collection
Sonic and the secret rings
RE4 - GC port
Lego starwars
Game party - minigame collection
RRR2 - minigame collection
RRR - minigame collection
Mysims

Guitar hero is given, it sells on all the platforms. Sonic&lego SW are platformers, which is a genre that sells on wii(SMG at least). I think third parties do "get" the wii audience. Take a look at CoD:WaW numbers. There is an example of devs who don't get the wii audience.