By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Remember when Sony said the PS3 would render at 120 fps? Forget it, 240fps

This just demonstrates that the PS3 architecture has the same scalability as a PC using Crossfire/SLI graphics solutions.

Considering that the same CBE chips currently being used in the PS3 cost about $60 each following the 65nm die shrink, in a few years, 45nm process chips (or whatever the limits of photolithography on silicon is at the time) should be considerably cheaper, making a multi chip CBE cluster on a PS4 motherboard a viable design from both a performance and cost perspective.

Such a design would actually negate the need for a separate GPU.

As for how difficult it would be for programmers to optimize code for such a beast is another issue altogether.

Around the Network
FPSrules said:
i believe the playstation 4 will use the same processor in the ps3, the cell processor. Cell is without debate the most powerful processor ever created with 8 cores compare to PC currently using 2 and 360 using 3. and even though ps3 has been out for 2 years the cell's potential power is untapped.

i think ps4 will just have a much better graphics card, and cell of course

The PS3 doesn't have 8 cores... it's a single core processor with with 8 SPEs... way different that a duo or quad core processor.

A $100 Intel Corel 2 Duo processor is way faster than a PS3 Cell processor...

Fernando said:
FPSrules said:
i believe the playstation 4 will use the same processor in the ps3, the cell processor. Cell is without debate the most powerful processor ever created with 8 cores compare to PC currently using 2 and 360 using 3. and even though ps3 has been out for 2 years the cell's potential power is untapped.

i think ps4 will just have a much better graphics card, and cell of course

The PS3 doesn't have 8 cores... it's a single core processor with with 8 SPEs... way different that a duo or quad core processor.

A $100 Intel Corel 2 Duo processor is way faster than a PS3 Cell processor...

wait wat? the fail palm its for you. a quadcore maybe but a 1.6ghz dual core isn't.

and the SPE are cpu, they even have 256kb of cache EACH.

from IBM:

All things considered the theoretic 204.8 GB/s number most often cited is the best one to bear in mind. The IBM Systems Performance group has demonstrated SPU-centric data flows achieving 197 GB/s on a Cell processor running at 3.2 GHz so this number is a fair reflection on practice as well.

The kernel and scheduling is distributed across the SPEs. Tasks are synchronized using mutexes or semaphores as in a conventional operating system. Ready-to-run tasks wait in a queue for an SPE to execute them. The SPEs use shared memory for all tasks in this configuration.

in comparison to the 360 CPU:

from IBM:

115.2 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance

Xenon is a Tri-Core CPU PowerPC based better than intel x86 cpus,

by force a very high clocked intel x86 or quadcore cpu is needed to match ps3 or even 360 cpu.

IT'S ALL LIES!

But really, that would be interesting to see.

According to TR, even a 2 years old core 2 duo tops at 200 gflops.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
superchunk said:
So does this mean they won't launch a ps4, just tell everyone to buy another ps3 and connect them?!

They'll also be offering special deals on duct tape so you can stick them together.  :P

I see, they are working with Nintendo on this one.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
makingmusic476 said:
superchunk said:
So does this mean they won't launch a ps4, just tell everyone to buy another ps3 and connect them?!

They'll also be offering special deals on duct tape so you can stick them together.  :P

I see, they are working with Nintendo on this one.

@mm:

i hope you don't want to imply sony copied ninty again !

Sony had this idea in 2005!

Everyone who denies that is biased.

afree_account said:

According to TR, even a 2 years old core 2 duo tops at 200 gflops.

Did you look at the side of the picture? Those numbers are mflops, not gflops. These again, these don't represent real theoretical maximum, only numbers from test program which is very unoptimized.

konnichiwa said:
Well it is not the PS3 that runs at 240 but the PS3's.

Ok I  am maybe wrong but...

If I understand well, they manage (indeed) to display 240 frames in absolute number (4 *60 for each 1/4 of the screen section)... but this isn't one screen refreshed at 240 framerate right ?? It is still one big screen refreshed at 60 fps ?

They used 4 PS3 to add more pixels displayed on the screen (the goal was to present their new big projector), but not multiply the total FPS of the given display.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Unlike Wii, PS4 will actually have real duct tape instead of imaginary ones.