By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top Million Sellers Question

Ok, So I can find no evidence that there was EVER a Super Mario Land Bundle.
There was Re-release, but a re-release just meant they kept publishing the title as there is still demand for it on GameBoy.

With this info, I think Super Mario Land is the official Non-Bundled king of singular sales.

When I was originally asking the question, I had not figured on didgital downloads, and re-releases on newer systems. I really didn't want to include them for this debate.
Just one game - on one system. Who's the all-time best?

Its a very intriguing yet confusing topic when you think about it

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network

RE: Wii Play

is bundled with "Hardware"
Therefore its booted from discussion.

No one can clearly say if it would sell the same if it did not have the remote, but most would lean toward "no"

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

Kung foo panda is now packed with the Xbox360 so it's not in the running.

Thrillhouse said:

No one can clearly say if it would sell the same if it did not have the remote, but most would lean toward "no"

Wii Fit is bundled with hardware, and so is MKWii. Should we eliminate both those?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Thrillhouse said:

Hey guys

A quick question regarding the Top Million Sellers of All Time.

I noticed Wii Sports has now taken over the number 2 spot, and will most likely get to the number 1 spot unless Nintendo decides to change their Pack-In. So the real question is, what title on this list has...

a) Never been a Pack-In

&

b) Never had multi-versions (ie: Pokemon Blue, Red)

So which game is best in sales by a pure "Stand Alone" Sale?

Just curious, any help is always appreciated

Here's the list of true-blue games that don't have any suspect sales numbers, as far as I know:

• San Andreas (17.41 million. Xbox version available, but this number is entirely from the PS2 version)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (17.28 million. No pack-ins to my knowledge)
  • Gran Turismo A-Spec (14.87 million. No bundles, and PS2-only)
  • Pokemon Yellow (14.64 million. Doesn't fit into the rest of the Poke-categories since it was 1 unique game)
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (14.2 million. Had a Xbox version)

And so on. Most of the old NES, DS and GB games are suspect in one way or another due to bundles, or multiple versions that led a lot of OCD kids to re-buy the same game 2-3 times for different versions.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Thrillhouse said:

Wii Fit is bundled with hardware, and so is MKWii. Should we eliminate both those?

Oyv, there's a major difference between Wii Play and Wii Fit/MK.

In Wii Play, you spend $40 for a $30 piece of hardware (the controller) and a $10 game. Huge skewing in terms of what your buying.

For Wii Fit, your paying $99.99 for a $50 game, and a $50 board.

For MkWii, your paying $49.99 for a $40 game, and a $10 addon.

For Wii Fit/MK, your primarily spending your cash on the actual software itself. With Wii Play, your spending the money on the hardware, and getting a near-free game with it.

It's like arguing Wii Sports sales validity in the West - your buying a $230 system that comes with a $20 game. Are you buying the Wii, and being forced to purchase the game, or not? It's a similar skewed ratio with Wii Play, because your buying the device, and getting a game free, or near free.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Thrillhouse said:

Oyv, there's a major difference between Wii Play and Wii Fit/MK.

In Wii Play, you spend $40 for a $30 piece of hardware (the controller) and a $10 game. Huge skewing in terms of what your buying.

For Wii Fit, your paying $99.99 for a $50 game, and a $50 board.

For MkWii, your paying $49.99 for a $40 game, and a $10 addon.

For Wii Fit/MK, your primarily spending your cash on the actual software itself. With Wii Play, your spending the money on the hardware, and getting a near-free game with it.

It's like arguing Wii Sports sales validity in the West - your buying a $230 system that comes with a $20 game. Are you buying the Wii, and being forced to purchase the game, or not? It's a similar skewed ratio with Wii Play, because your buying the device, and getting a game free, or near free.

Actually, I would argue, that you get MKWii for 49, with 49 going to software and a free piece of plastic that most people don't use.

For Wii fit, the board is probably worth 70, and the game only 20. Either way, you need to buy both to enjoy anything at all, so it is counted. Now that more games are coming out that use the BB, you could possibly argue not to count it in this special situation we cooked up, but to date it still counts.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

SMB3 was bundled with NES Challenge Set.
Some sites say it was never bundled, however, there are photos circulating of the Box in question, so its out!

EVIDENCE: http://www.brianstoys.com/store/images/products/videogames/sealed/nes/vga/nes_73492071.jpg

My opinion on why MKWii is in the running:
The Wii Wheel is not hardware per-se because the wheel is infact, not electric in any way, nor needed to play the game.

My opinion why WiiFit is in the running:
The Balance Board is an electronic device and it is necessary to play the game, so it should be considered a type of hardware...... but it is not available seperately from the Game. Therefore it is 1 SKU as a whole.
Once the board is available seperately or is included with another game, such as WiiFit2 etc... then effectively it should be eliminated from discussion.

Super Mario Land is still holding up.

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

pretty sure the best stand alone, non bundled is GTA San Andreas for PS2

coolestguyever said:
pretty sure the best stand alone, non bundled is GTA San Andreas for PS2

you need to prove that Super Mario Land was bundled and it wins the cake, unless we count the M and AO version seperate

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)