By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Polyphony Digital and Guerrila Games can do it...

Why can't everyone else make great use of the PS3? I'm just puzzled at the sheer amount of developers that simply refuse to take advantage of the hardware...

Around the Network

Not everyone has those kind of budgets, with that said, Sony will probably share the engines with all of its 1st parties.

1. Time
2. Money

It requires both and developers have little of both. Of course sony's first party (much like Nintendos) will take more advantage of the platform better than 3rd parties. It's to be expected.

it's just that the ports that result (i.e., orange box and need for speed undercover) just look so horrible in comparison that i don't understand why they even bothered to do it.

bugrimmar said:

Why can't everyone else make great use of the PS3? I'm just puzzled at the sheer amount of developers that simply refuse to take advantage of the hardware...

Refuse is such a harsh word.

GT5 and KZ2 has been in the making for a billion years, which is too much time to spend on a single game for most game developers...

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
Not everyone has those kind of budgets, with that said, Sony will probably share the engines with all of its 1st parties.

Theres your answer right there...

I remember reading an interview about GT5, and the way he talked about the budget...damn now you know why that game has such quality, not all developers have hugh amounts of money to spend..

I know I was beaten to the punch, but not every developer has a publisher who will give them any budget they want. Third parties need to make a good game and still make money, after all.

Same reason that Retro Studios and Nintendo were (pretty much) the only developers to graphically push the Gamecube.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Don't listen to all the people up here :P It's not about time and money at all ;/ it's about mad skillz, and many developers simply lack them :P

Criterion games didn't set aside some proposterous budget, and look at the quality they tossed on the table.

Infinity War SPLIT they're resources up, and look what they produced.

Media Molecule I'm not even consists of 50+ people... Amazing quality :P

Dice seems to be able to work wonders on the PS3, and we haven't heard much about out of this world budgets.

Insomniac games makes game after game, year after year, and we've never heard horror stories about next gen budgets from them.

It seems to me like a developers willingness to learn and experiment with the hardware. Many company's out there are just looking to produce a quick buck, not put out a quality title, so you'll see sloppy port, after sloppy port, after sloppy port ;/ That said, any company wanting to lead with the PS3 usually finds it's much easier to port down to the 360, because it reads anything you throw at it, and the overall quality for both consoles is pretty damn good ^^

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

with games like killzone 2, gran turismo 5, uncharted and MGS4 which in my opinion are the best looking games available right now. There is no reason for multiplatform games such as Fallout 3 to run bad on the ps3. I would rather the ps3 version to be delayed rather than release a broken game. Eventhough I have not played Alone in the dark, I would rather more games took this route and release totally optimised for the playstation 3.

I think that in the near future developers will start development on the playstation 3 first, I have heard is easier to develop on the ps3 and port to the 360 rather than the other way round.