By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else getting tired of Nintendo's supposed "shortages"?

seece said:
nordlead said:
seece said:
2 Years on and you would think they could get it right ... the demand is there so what on earth is stopping them?!

Lets see, they started with ~0.5m/month (before launch) and are now producing 2.4m/month (current), and will probably increase it again next year to 2.8m/month (my guess).

What is stopping them is unprecedented demand. The PS2 never saw this level of demand, and people (who I think are stupid) still predict that sales are going to drop off in 6 months, so why increase production?

Because like you said, those people are stupid and demand isn't likely to drop off. Nintendo Limited need to strike whilst the irons hot, its the in thing to have. IF that is going to change then they need to sell as many Wii's now as they can. If it isn't going to change and wii continues to sell like crazy then there would be no harm in raising how many wii's are made.

You can bet your bottom dollar if Sony Incorporated or Microsoft Incorporated were in this position they would do everything they could to meet demand.

Note the bold words, and why Nintendo cannot do what you are claiming.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

^Certainly "Limited" just means that they are a limited liability company? "Incorporated" sounds like an NA specific term, since I rarely see companies ending in Inc in the UK.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
^Certainly "Limited" just means that they are a limited liability company? "Incorporated" sounds like an NA specific term, since I rarely see companies ending in Inc in the UK.

I don't know it there is an international standard, but what the companies are is a somewhat large, but highly specialized company, versus two massive companies, with several branches. The latter two could more easily get factories and parts running than the former.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

OK, everyone needs to keep in mind that this is by far the best selling video game console ever

Everyone also needs to keep in mind that it's a pretty expensive procedure to build a new factory. Lets just be patient, soon the supply will catch up to demand, and then the Wii can launch in China and the other countries it's not out in, and in different colours

Nintendo cant do fuck all right now. If these companies in China (who make wiifits) are having trouble then everyones having trouble.

Besides if the console took 2 years to get up to an adequete production speed do you really think the Wii Fit is already established with this in mind.

As Mr nintendo said, "blah blah bathroom scale". Well that pretty much sums up their initial expectations.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

"Everyone also needs to keep in mind that it's a pretty expensive procedure to build a new factory."

They aren't, or choosing to ignore it in favor of bitching about their unreasonable demands topping the laws of economics.

I am in no condition to contribute to this thread. A moment, please.

Alright, now that that's snugly attached...F*** Nintendo! Thank God Microsoft is forcing their hand, or something...

@seece: Do you know what eventually caused Dreamcast production to end? The 50% of all DC:s manufactured (the time DC was discontinued) standing in Segas warehouses due to lack of demand. That's a shitty situation that any manufacturer of any product wants to avoid. Including Nintendo.

From Nintendos statements we know that it takes five month to ramp up production, add one month for shipping, before the increased stock hits market (and it's a limited number they can increase the supply at a time).
Now that there have been supply constrains, market "sucks" the increased supply right away, so they need to wait a while before the demand settles.

And Nintendo actually did increase Wii supply pretty aggressively. Keep the five months in mind;
Before launch (-11/06), Wii was manufactured at a rate of 500k a month.
At the time of the launch, production was upped to about 1M a month (11/06-).
3/2007, Wii production was upped to 1,3M a month.
Around 8/2007, Wii production was upped to 1,8M a month.
Around 9/2008 Wii production was upped to 2,4M a month.

As you can see, from the start of second half of 2006 to early second half of 2007 Nintendo was basically constantly ramping Wii production up.
After the ramp up to 1,8M in 2007, Nintendo was looking what the market looks like after the christmas period, when market settles. The next ramp-up from 1,8M, would take Wii production above the production rate of any console ever, so there clearly wasn't anything you could use as a benchmark for the demand.
1,8M wasn't enough, so the next step got a green light. If the current 2,4M rate isn't enough, production rate will go up sometime in the summer/fall and that time, the production rate may be on its own "millions".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I love how everyone thought this game would flop, and now people are complaining that Nintendo cannot keep up with demand. Did anyone really think that the Wii Fit would sell 10 million copies this fast?

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

sparkit34 said:
I love how everyone thought this game would flop, and now people are complaining that Nintendo cannot keep up with demand. Did anyone really think that the Wii Fit would sell 10 million copies this fast?

Guess what I blame...