By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Elite Dissected: Includes new Heatsink and....

ceres said:
Well I think a lot of people have agreed that the main problem is the poor soldering that allows the motherboard to warp overtime.

Poor soldering? What? The soldering on the ICs is done by a computer controlled solderer. Its the same type of machine that is used for every manufactured mainboard. 

The complaints I have heard are the poor quality of the x-clamps mounting system, which allows for warping and loss of contact with the heatsink. 

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

Around the Network

For God's sake, the cooling system on the Xbox 360 is HORRIBLY designed. I can design a better cooling system in less than 5 seconds.

I think that the initial idea of water-cooling was not that bad... but if it was designed as horrible as this one... I can imagine some flooded 360 right now.

mrstickball said:

Lots more.

http://benheck.com/07-12-2007/inside-the-xbox-360-elite

This is the famous "Xbox 360 Laptop guy". He's taken a few Xbox 360's apart to build into portable laptops. He knows his way around an Xbox 360.

He decided to build a new one off of an Xbox 360 Elite, and does a component-by-component analysis of the Elite X360s to show the design model differences.

The X360 elite has (that old models don't have):

HDMI (duh), and all the standard X360 Elite-stuff

2nd Heatsink (like the newer refurbished X360s)

New BenQ DVD Drive that's quieter

New thermal glue/paste for the CPU/GPU combo.

Basically, the rundown is that since the Elite launched (as his is a basic elite), that MS has implemented, as of then, the major changes to heatsinks to fix the RROD issues. Obviously, the 65nm will do even more. But for those really wanting an X360: The Elite seems to be the most reliable until the premiums are sold out. If you can get a new(er) X360 Premium (April 2007+), you should be fine. However, All the elites are made past this date, so it's automatic.

Just a few words to those considering an X360. Now, with the price drop, the older units should make their way into consumers hands, so I'd say in 1-2 months, the real old stock should be gone, and the new better ones (pre-Falcon, post-RROD issues).

WOW this dude is crazy..but I learned alot he truly broke down the inside of the Elite...thats crazy how it has so many heatsinks and then a heat pipe..so the problem was generally the 360's overheating...O_O

wangfoo said:
ceres said:
Well I think a lot of people have agreed that the main problem is the poor soldering that allows the motherboard to warp overtime.

Poor soldering? What? The soldering on the ICs is done by a computer controlled solderer. Its the same type of machine that is used for every manufactured mainboard.

The complaints I have heard are the poor quality of the x-clamps mounting system, which allows for warping and loss of contact with the heatsink.

"Poor soldering" is inaccurate, but refers to the particular type of solder they use, it is lead-free to comply with RoHS, and definitely is less flexible than old lead solder. Also, soldering doesn't cause the board to warp, obviously. The warping of the board combined with inflexible solder material causes the contacts to come loose. Of course, the fact that the solder points on the board come loose is as much a result of overheating due to poor heat dissipation as the poor flexibility of RoHS solder. 

Blame the environmentalists if you want. 

senatorpjt said:

"Poor soldering" is inaccurate, but refers to the particular type of solder they use, it is lead-free to comply with RoHS, and definitely is less flexible than old lead solder. Also, soldering doesn't cause the board to warp, obviously. The warping of the board combined with inflexible solder material causes the contacts to come loose. Of course, the fact that the solder points on the board come loose is as much a result of overheating due to poor heat dissipation as the poor flexibility of RoHS solder.

Blame the environmentalists if you want.

Ironic how a console whose main color is green is having so many issues for being "green"...

Around the Network

Its kinda sad that, they KNEW this was happening, and yet the original Elites still had the problem... 18 months later... lol...