By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS below 30% market.

I think Nintendo are in a great position to aim for 60% market share but I don't see Sony making up much ground on microsoft anytime soon so we'll see how things pan out

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:
Kantor said:
Not all hardcore games are best played on a PC. Just FPS games. Assassin's Creed on PC was awful, most hardcore games don't even come out on PC...
Besides, Halo proves that a console FPS can be amazing.

Microsoft is slowly losing marketshare, but I doubt they're losing hope. The 360 is doing better than the Xbox, and even if its only by a little bit, it doesn't look as exaggerated due to the fact that no console has the numbers that the PS2 had at this point in the Microsoft console's lifespan.

@Ronster: Your sig always makes me laugh :D

Yup, the sony defence force really turned the screw with the avatar and sig they chose lol

Still , how many people do you know with a perfect record of 27 platinum torphies, 0 gold 0 silver and 0 bronze?

Best gamer alive today?

I take it you'll be more conservative with your bets from now on...

How long does this last?

OT: Microsoft probably would have given a limb for 30% market share last gen...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

stephen700 said:

It was looking to happen for a while

Microsoft X360 is now under 30% of the new console market -

It's a psychological blow to MS because now they can no longer say we are over 30% of the market. - almost 30% is not quite the same ring to it and current trends it looks like they will be lucky hold 25% soon.

Next the Wii-Nintendo will attain it's destined position in the market they are heading to take over 50% which will be a huge coupe for nintendo.

The Sony-PS3 will probably do well to hold onto it's current 22.x% - which they should be pretty happy with given they were a year behind the x360 and most of the games don't have the quality of next-gen and good motion support i expected to see given the hardware - it's a  pretty weak effort. Sony totally failed to provide the developer support to make PS3 games any better than their X360 or PC variants - whatever happened to  gyroscopic pointing or steering in an FPS. ?

So I am pretty pleased about this it's good to see that the traditional hardcore market % shrinking like a dried out mushroom these hardcore games are best played on a PC anyway. And it may inspire Sony and MS to take a look at game quality and the next-gen ideas- like better motion support, voice recognition etc more seriously to try and get back some % - so far they basically suck and nintendo may well approach 60% of the total market - while sony and MS are busy fighting over the smaller "hardcore" market whatever that is ?.

Hum, those percentage are calculated from this site and doesn't necessary reflects what MS and others hold as a value...

Nintendo created a new market so, this is how you see it ... nevermind...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

@ Kantor, i will have this sig for another 12 days, the bet expires on Dec 1st

I'm going to ensure i have the evidence with me to back up my claim next time i place a bet lol

I think looking at recent sales figures MS should not go under 29.5% share for a long time and mabey rebuild it to over 30% eventually. The PS3 is gonna drop to very low 20% and nintendo will increase more to reach 50% - thats from looking at recent figures unless things change.

PS3 number 1 fan

Around the Network

And now 360 is back up to 30.0% and its ps3's percentage that actually dropped.

Nevermind, theres always next year.

arsenicazure said:
If m$ were to release the waggle tomorrow it would make sense.. it would dent nintendo marketshare and it would hurt SONY too.. plus I can finally enjoy some Motion controlled games that dont look like ass..

MS releasing motion controls would have no effect on the Nintendo marketshare. Every game on the Wii library requires motion controls because that's the only control input available. If MS made motion controls, all the games released from their launch until now would not be compatible and you would be relying on the userbase to go out and purchase a peripheral to play those sorts of games in the future.

Optional peripherals have never been able to catch on with any significant sales. If you'll recall, there have been several consoles already (including the 360 and PS3) that have released a camera peripheral that actually functions in a way not completely dissimilar from motion control, but none of those have ever been adopted in any numbers worth mentioning.

Game developers won't risk the money necessary to develop a good game using motion controls (or a camera, for that matter) if they can't be certain how many people will even be able to play it. 

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

and Sony is less than that.....its only cause Wii is like 50% of the marketshare console sales wise, but 360 3rd party games sell WAY MORE than Wii's.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

Cmon, ioi you got to put a stop to these nonsense threads. Clearly the site indicates 30% and unlike these Sony fans it really has nothing to do with there console as to what is happening with the market share.

the 1 year head start is still a factor there. It's not a huge factor in marketshare like it was last year when 360 marketshare was dropping by huge amounts every week but it's still a factor. lets not try to spin the numbers why not just look at them how they are.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X