By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So do you think the Wii will reach 50% of market share this year?

I think it has a chance of doing that, it’s only 00.1% away from reaching 48% and then has only 02% left. So what do you think?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I think the sales in Japan is the biggest obstacle for the Wii. If they were to be around 40-50k weekly, i could see 50% by year-end( assuming the American sales will go crazy for a few weeks)

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

BringBackChrono said:
I think the sales in Japan is the biggest obstacle for the Wii. If they were to be around 40-50k weekly, i could see 50% by year-end( assuming the American sales will go crazy for a few weeks)

Yeah but animal crossing will give it a boost ;)

And in America I think it will be over 300k this week

Won't quite happen, if the 360 & PS3 sell say 2.5-3 million each by the end of the year, then the Wii needs to sell over 8-9million in 6-7 weeks to make it to 50%. It basically needs to sell the PS3 & 360 combined by around 450k per week.
It'll be close, but can't see it happening, it will get there in Q1 2009 easily.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Infamy79 said:
Won't happen, if the 360 & PS3 sell 4 million each by the end of the year, then the Wii needs to sell over 11million in 6-7 weeks to make it to 50%.
It'll be close, but can't see it happening, it will get there in Q1 2009 easily

I don’t think any of them will sell 4m from now till the end of the year…

Around the Network

^Yeah, 4 mil sounds a bit steep for the PS3. Possible for 360 though.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Sorry I adjusted my numbers, I was originally basing 4 million as a fairly conservative estimate for Q4 when we are half way through it already so numbers are different

Wii basically has to outsell PS360 3:1 from now to the end of the year to even get close

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

The thing is, if things were static than yes. But as the Wii increases its percentage going up further increases in difficulty. Especially since the other consoles are doing quite well. I wouldn't put it past the Wii, but I also don't think it a definite. Sorry, I know that's a little wishy washy but who knows? We'll know soon enough.

The Wii will end the year with around 45 million sold, but 50% market share won't be reached until next year.

My bet from a few months ago was February 2009 if I remember correctly, but I haven't redone the calculations since then.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I've been wondering if it might hit the 50% mark myself. I've had my sig up for, what, a year now? and I figured that when I said "by june" that it would still be like, march to april at the earliest to edge out that 50% point.

kinda frustrating, I thought I was going to have it nailed perfectly, but all of a sudden, Wii's sales rates have just obliterated the HD side.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her