By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IF PS3 had 320MB RAM, would be the king

After reading many. MANY threads about PS3 architecture, I think there´s something WRONG, really WRONG about PS3, as killerzone developers using just 5 from the 7 cores, etc... WTF, this memory limitation and bus limitation killed the PS3 from beginning!!!

Anyone has hopes about better PS3 games (HD comparison, Phisics comparison) than X360??? I think they can archieve same goals, this is MY PERSONAL opinion, ISNT market or forum opinion, don´t take as ofense!

what are YOUR hopes for PS3???

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

Around the Network

hell i think they should just slab in 2 gigs.....ram is cheap.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

My hopes?
That I'll get huge amounts of trouble free enjoyment out of it.
And I'm getting that, Belive me.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Hehehe, I am getting a lot of good time playing too, and no worries, but this architecture... my god, ahhaha

Ehm... doesn't it already has 256 + 256 = 512 MB RAM?
So you want it to have less... :P

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Noo, i am saying 320MB of RAM + 250MB of Video... not decreasing from 512 to 320!

If it had used 320mb of ram then it would have likely required to use a 192bit bus to address that memory and thats something which would have kept the costs much higher over the lifetime of the machine and cost them hundreds of millions of dollars just from the extra cost of the motherboard.

Tease.

Cos the PS3 isn't expensive enough with 256?

kibebr said:
Noo, i am saying 320MB of RAM + 250MB of Video... not decreasing from 512 to 320!

The PS3 has 512 MB of shared memory to use as RAM and for the RSX unlike the 360 which has 256 MB RAM and 256 MB for the graphics chip.  768 MB might have been just good but 1 GB could have been already too much... Besides, the type of memory the PS3 uses isn't what common PCs use; it's less used and thus, I believe, much more expensive. It's faster. That's why I think they didn't put very much memory in the first place (in addition to the price).

Zkuq said:
kibebr said:

The 360 has 512 MB of shared memory to use as RAM and for the RSX unlike the PS3 which has 256 MB RAM and 256 MB for the graphics chip.  768 MB might have been just good but 1 GB could have been already too much... Besides, the type of memory the PS3 uses isn't what common PCs use; it's less used and thus, I believe, much more expensive. It's faster. That's why I think they didn't put very much memory in the first place (in addition to the price).

Fixed. Xbox 360 = unified, PS3 != unified ram architecture.

Tease.