By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-Ray officially cracked!!

they need to lower the prices of the movies .. Im not paying $30 for a movie.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
deathgod33 said:
they should really lower the price on blu ray movies or no one wil buy them and will just keep downloading them online.

wait... they should lower the price of blu-ray movies because of piracy?

Wow. let's give xbox/wii/DS/PSP game developers a call, shall we?

It's like saying stores should lower the price because people will just steal them.

That's exactly what happens in countries which have excessively high piracy rates. They can't compete with the guy who sells a pirate DVD on the corner for $1, so instead of charging $30 in that country, they'll charge $2 instead and at least try and get some of the market.

Katilian said:
kingofwale said:
deathgod33 said:
they should really lower the price on blu ray movies or no one wil buy them and will just keep downloading them online.

It's like saying stores should lower the price because people will just steal them.

That's exactly what happens in countries which have excessively high piracy rates. They can't compete with the guy who sells a pirate DVD on the corner for $1, so instead of charging $30 in that country, they'll charge $2 instead and at least try and get some of the market.

hmm... what country is that?

such tactics will do absolutely nothing. Why would someone buy your product for twice as much as he/she can get away for?

Not to mention, making us first world good citizens look like idiots for actually pay regular prices for product

Only solution is through tougher regulation and better education.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
Katilian said:
kingofwale said:
deathgod33 said:

such tactics will do absolutely nothing. Why would someone buy your product for twice as much as he/she can get away for?

Not to mention, making us first world good citizens look like idiots for actually pay regular prices for product

Thailand, Malyasia, Bali, Indonesia, etc..

This isn't limited to movies either, software also gets discounted. I can purchase brand new PC games imported through ebay from Thailand for under 1/2 the cost of them in Australia.

Even MS is in on the action (an older article, but the first one I found):

"Wilderotter said final pricing for Starter Edition has not been determined but noted that it will be the company's "most affordable operating system in the market." Reports have pegged the price of the Thai version at about US$36."

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Five-countries-to-get-cheap-Windows-XP/0,339028227,339130440,00.htm

Piracy has always been around and will continue to be. Though I don't this is too big a deal as for example DVDs have been pirated for years and that format is doing just fine.

Around the Network

This is what happnes when a format truly becomes famous.

As for the topic, ... er... Sonys gonna hunt them down like a _________ lol!

kingofwale said:

Why would someone buy your product for 30 times as much, or even infinitely more when you just download it?

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

The recent surveys by DHG showed that the problem with lack of awareness for Blu Ray. A lot of people didn't even know the format war was over. They need to push for the fact that HD streaming and upscaled DVD is not the same as Blu Ray.

"What I'd thought I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes..."
~ J.D. Salinger, "Catcher in the Rye"

somehow im supposed to feel sorry for blu ray but I always liked HD DVD way better.. less DRM issues, cheaper disc/player costs same quality video...

When i can find a player for $150 and movies cost $20 Ill upgrade...

No doubt piracy is evil.. but its like wanking off.. everyone does it but no one talks bout it.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

ruibing said:

The recent surveys by DHG showed that the problem with lack of awareness for Blu Ray. A lot of people didn't even know the format war was over. They need to push for the fact that HD streaming and upscaled DVD is not the same as Blu Ray.

It's a shame that survey's show that the general public isn't capable of telling the difference in most cases.  This coupled with the appropriate resolution vs viewing distance vs tv size show how little most people benefit from 1080p movies.