By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 vs. 360 Exclusives for 2009

1. Uncharted 2 will be AAA
2. Ratchet and Clank will be next year
3. How can you label Halo 3 recon as being an AAA game, when it is not even a full game
4. How can you call Alan Wake an AAA game, but you think Heavy Rain is going to be a B! We don't really know much about either, so we cannot really make those judgements
5. Final Fantasy XIII has been confirmed for 2009 release in Japan

Around the Network

Just because this is the kind of thread that gets out of hand, I'm going to say the same thing I said in a similar thread:

Just a warning to all: I'm going to let this thread stay open for now but do not call people trolls and do not turn this into a giant biased bicker fest.

If you do either of those, you'll get an at minimum warning and the thread will likely close. If you have a problem with a post, simply report it. That's all you have to do.

Munkeh111 said:
3. How can you label Halo 3 recon as being an AAA game, when it is not even a full game
4. How can you call Alan Wake an AAA game, but you think Heavy Rain is going to be a B! We don't really know much about either, so we cannot really make those judgements

Would you call Portal and Braid real AAA games?  They may not be what you call full games but they are better than many of the AAA games released within the last year.

I like the ps3 lineup the most.

4 ≈ One

twesterm said:
Munkeh111 said:

Would you call Portal and Braid real AAA games?  They may not be what you call full games but they are better than many of the AAA games released within the last year.

No, they are not full games, they should not be compared with these games, there could be a seperate comparison for DLGs, but not many have been announced. I think Recon comes in there with Warhawk and SOCOM given that they are not full games, mabye even WipEout HD

What will be interesting is whether M$ offer this as a download like Sony have done with those games

Around the Network

Man, I really find the stock definition of "AAA" on this site (90+ critic ratings) distasteful. Its completely meaningless, except from the perspective of a gamer, and often does not correlate with sales, profits, etc.

In the games industry, from the developer and publisher perspective, a title's "AAA" status is defined by its budget.

As far as sales (and IMO this site) should be concerned, "AAA" should be related to profit, profit margins, or at the very least gross income.

Review scores... that's just silly, although as a gamer, I appreciate a scores relevance with regards to artistic impact on the gaming community... but that's pretty subjective, and this is a sales site...

"Would you call Portal and Braid real AAA games? They may not be what you call full games but they are better than many of the AAA games released within the last year."

But are those types of games the kind that consumers are really looking forward to when deciding to buy a console? I would say the only one of their kind that would be a deciding factor in a console purchase would be Geometry Wars. When most people think about the games they are looking forward to playing on their system, I think it's not Braid or Portal, but the kind you walk into a store and see in shiny cases like Halo, Gears, and to a lesser extent Fable.

"Alan Wake is a true AAA title."

Why do you think this? Do you really expect it to be as good as Resident Evil 5?

Heavy Rain I agree - shuld b lifted to A.

"And WKC is definately not AAA."

Why do you say this? It is being designed by Level 5 and Level 5 has long been thought of as being the upcoming developer of JRPG games? They have already made four AAA games with Joan of Ark, Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud 2, and Professor Layton, so what leads you to believe that this one game will definitely not be a AAA title?

triplebph said:
"Would you call Portal and Braid real AAA games? They may not be what you call full games but they are better than many of the AAA games released within the last year."

But are those types of games the kind that consumers are really looking forward to when deciding to buy a console? I would say the only one of their kind that would be a deciding factor in a console purchase would be Geometry Wars. When most people think about the games they are looking forward to playing on their system, I think it's not Braid or Portal, but the kind you walk into a store and see in shiny cases like Halo, Gears, and to a lesser extent Fable.

Who said AAA has anything to do with console buying?  Whether a game is AAA or how many AAA games a system has in no way at all affects what console I buy.

I doubt Halo Recon will be anything special.