By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu ray players breaking 200$ range

well then we should see a price cut on the ps3 shortly, or early next year cause black friday is in 2 weeks

Around the Network

PS3 is already 300$ if you get a sony credit card and a few other ways. That's a pretty good deal to combat the "360+BR" side of the coin.

I think this is magnificent as it was only a year ago that BR prices were hovering at 400$

Is the market ready for a format change in the state it's in now though?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:

Because the format is backwards compatable, it won't be nearly the shock the system that CDs and DVDs are.

No one should be too shocked by these processes. Everyone was expecting sub-$300 new players this season, and the sub-$200 are Black Friday or clearance specials - I bet none of them will be the new 2.0 config, and their owners will be sorely disappointed to find many discs incompatable with their players. But next year will surely bring NEW players prices below $200, which keeps it on the same pace (at least) as DVD.

Blu-ray is in trouble holiday, but It can have a turn around if this holiday pans out better...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network
eliasg said:
this is bad or good news for the PS3???

Both. A price cut would probably mean good news though.

4 ≈ One

misterd said:
Strategyking92 said:

Because the format is backwards compatable, it won't be nearly the shock the system that CDs and DVDs are.

No one should be too shocked by these processes. Everyone was expecting sub-$300 new players this season, and the sub-$200 are Black Friday or clearance specials - I bet none of them will be the new 2.0 config, and their owners will be sorely disappointed to find many discs incompatable with their players. But next year will surely bring NEW players prices below $200, which keeps it on the same pace (at least) as DVD.

The movie will still play so that won't be a problem for a vast majority of people who don't care about the special features.  Web-enabled features are still in a very very small minority of discs and they continue to be buggy at best.  I would even be curious to see how many people are actually attempting to access them.  It can't be a huge selling point for some studios (ie: Fox/MGM) who are still cranking out bare bone catalog releases at new release prices....

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

I am streaming King of Kong in HD from Netflix over the 360 right now. I still am going to get a Blu-Ray player this Christmas, hopefully during Black Friday if I can get one for about $100-$150. The selection right now is not great for HD streaming stuff on Netflix, but if it was I would not be getting a Blu-Ray player. I will not be buying any blu-rays, just getting them from Netflix. I love Netflix.

This is awesome, they are getting closer and closer to the mainstream price point. I like how the ads are being presented across commercials. Ads like for example this is what I heard today and loved it: "Now available on DVD and High Definition viewing only can be played on Blu-ray."

well LG is mass advertising their 250$ blu ray players....

they use blu eye and "your eyes won't believe it" to do so

and samsung use their Series 8 120hz TV.