By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The better console for value.

Fumanchu said:
Do you honestly believe that anyone that visits this site wouldn't already know this?

Plus you kinda made it sound like you HAVE to get a HDD, wifi-adapter and live...if you don't want/need these than you can get a system that plays 90% of the PS3's games at half price - some of the games will even look and run better on the 360...but again anyone reading this already knows this.

Exactly.  A gamer wouldn't want wifi in most cases.  Wifi is slower than wired (802.11g vs 100mbit, anything vs gigabit), it is less reliable than wired.  It is higher latency than wired due not just to the fact that hardware demudulation of RF is slower than copper, but also due to the fact that the protocol itself has RTS-CTS inefficiencies inherant in sharing a medium. 

The only thing Wifi does better than wired is that it is easier to use in some areas than cables.  But in every other way, it is vastly inferior.  For some people it works good enough and that's fine, but it isn't as good as a wired connection.

Unless you have no choice, you use wired.  It isn't like you are going to be carrying your console around while you're gaming on it.

Around the Network

Alright...I think hes had enough. Hes been banned, his points have been proven as opinions... I think we can let him off the hook thi time :)

Grahamhsu said:
^I thought MikeB was a world renowned programmer from the posts he gives. Is there any place on the internet where you are wanted Mike?

He is not, and he never claimed to be one as far as I remember.

When discussing things with people with actual programming experience, he usually gets lost pretty quickly. (i.e. as soon as the subject goes a bit outside the scope of his stockpile of quotes from industry sources). That has rarely stopped him from trying to defend some provably silly claims though.

In other words, he's an armchair programmer.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ NJ5

I have been a tech writer in the past (have been an advisor for various tech companies and been a spokesperson for a big developer consortium in the past), However I am not a professional programmer as you know. People who never programmed can't imagine how boring and frustrating that can be if you're ambitious. Hence I prefer my current profession.

I want to know how tech works, that's why I had in depth discussions with IBM technical experts and fellow tech writers like my buddy Nicholas Blanchford regarding the Cell and Xenon in the past. There are some roadblocks regarding the introduction of innovative new processor designs, but there's no doubt the Cell processor like it's implemented in the PS3 is a lot more powerful potentially compared to what the 360's Xenon can provide.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB: I admire you for your tenacity in learning about technical stuff, the only problem is that sometimes you talk a bit too much for what you know. You do occasionally bring up valid points though.

I'm a programmer, not a doctor, so I don't go into medical forums making absolute statements about cancer.

Around the Network

Value is really up to the purchaser. For some who want their exercise games with motion controls, a $600 wii is more valuable than a $100 ps3.

For me a BC ps3 would always be more valuable than anything else because I still play ps2 and ps1 games, use the wireless feature, stream movies, upgraded my HD to 320gb with ease and watch blu-ray every now and then. This puts the ps3 miles ahead of any other option but that's just MY TASTE.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Fanboys incoming !!!!!

NJ5 said:
@MikeB: I admire you for your tenacity in learning about technical stuff, the only problem is that sometimes you talk a bit too much for what you know. You do occasionally bring up valid points though.

I'm a programmer, not a doctor, so I don't go into medical forums making absolute statements about cancer.

No offence, you have programmers and you have "programmers". It's really the low level coders out there, with in depth low level knowledge of the hardware of whom the statements are more relevant regarding the issues at hand. Mike Acton, a highly acclaimed low level software engineer explains this well within the links in my signature with regard to the differences of competence levels amongst programmers.

Don't you agree?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB: You often use quotes from valid sources. But you also often misuse them or interpret them wrongly.

In my everyday work I program with an architecture very similar to the Cell (proprietary though). I'm not a games programmer (except for some amateur PC projects), but I do appreciate the problems programmers go through when using it to make games. You don't see me making too many comments about rendering engines, but I will and do discuss the architecture and programming models.

@ NJ5

@MikeB: You often use quotes from valid sources. But you also often misuse them or interpret them wrongly.

Well, I don't claim I never make mistakes. But your "often" seems an exaggeration to me. I think it's closer to "rare".

If I provide the sources I don't see much wrong with this, you can reread and make up your own mind. Though it's crystal clear, the Cell in the PS3 is fundamentally much more powerful than the 360's Xenon CPU (not taking into account the state of current game engines).

PS3 vs 360 sales