By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: First week CoD WaW Wii major flop, Medal of Honor breaks 500k

Zucas said:
bazmeistergen said:
Zucas said:
Anybody know how many are on the leaderboards now. Been awhile since I played.

Hi Zucas. It's somewhere around 55,000 I reckon.

I added you as a friend on it as well, btw.

55,000?  Hmm not bad but not great either.  That means about 150k-200k buys if its attach rates for online is similar to MOHH2. 

And I'll add ya as soon as I ever play it again.  Been so busy with Tales of Symphonia 2.

Ooooh Tales. Damn Europe!

Hopefully CoD'll keep going at it's current rate, which appears to be pretty steady.

I had MOHH2, but found the connectivity a real pain.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network

I'll have to disappoint those who thought this game would see a spike this week, but at least it's selling at a steady rate.

Sales for this week should be in the 38k-45k region. I'll go with 42k.

bazmeistergen said:
Zucas said:
bazmeistergen said:
Zucas said:
Anybody know how many are on the leaderboards now. Been awhile since I played.

Hi Zucas. It's somewhere around 55,000 I reckon.

I added you as a friend on it as well, btw.

55,000? Hmm not bad but not great either. That means about 150k-200k buys if its attach rates for online is similar to MOHH2.

And I'll add ya as soon as I ever play it again. Been so busy with Tales of Symphonia 2.

Ooooh Tales. Damn Europe!

Hopefully CoD'll keep going at it's current rate, which appears to be pretty steady.

I had MOHH2, but found the connectivity a real pain.

It'll come out in Europe.  I've heard somewhere in the first half of 2009.

And WaW should be pretty steady up until The Conduit so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Chrizum said:
I'll have to disappoint those who thought this game would see a spike this week, but at least it's selling at a steady rate.

Sales for this week should be in the 38k-45k region. I'll go with 42k.

Well it's hard to tell.  The majority buyer for these last few weeks are going to be the mainstream gamer and its unlikely the first thing they do will be to turn on the online... unlike that of the core gamer.  So hard to go off simply the leaderboards for these last weeks.

Zucas said:
Well comparatively to the 360 and PS3 version they are quite low but I'd say its on better paces than that of MOHH2. And being a mainstream brand it should pick up as the holidays continue. Probably sold a decent bit already on Black Friday and considering now there's commercial marketing who knows haha.

Nah. Can't sell to the masses a product that's not on the shelves, and this game is more scarce than an honest politician right now.

Although they've started advertising this version, so maybe they'll pick up the supply chain soon? Mind you, they missed the Black Friday boat...

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Zucas said:
Well comparatively to the 360 and PS3 version they are quite low but I'd say its on better paces than that of MOHH2. And being a mainstream brand it should pick up as the holidays continue. Probably sold a decent bit already on Black Friday and considering now there's commercial marketing who knows haha.

Nah. Can't sell to the masses a product that's not on the shelves, and this game is more scarce than an honest politician right now.

Although they've started advertising this version, so maybe they'll pick up the supply chain soon? Mind you, they missed the Black Friday boat...

Well I think its because retailers and publishers are figuring out Wii trends.  Meaning shipping a whole lot on the first day or week may not be the brightest idea.  I think a lot have started to spread it out.  Meaning first week a retailer will order like 250k and then put 50,000 of it on shelves and then continue that way.  I mean if that's waht the sales trends suggest that's how I'd do it. 

But there are a few titles they ship big numbers on the first week such as Star Wars, Lego games, and Guitar Hero.  Just depends I guess.  Remember first week shipments and placement on retailer is all about hype so its no surprise this is how it should go down.

You may well be right. The only thing I can think of that cuts against that is the fact that they missed making significant shipments for Black Friday, which is when you would think they'd have enough product to attract people who saw their commercials and impulse shoppers. Other than that though, you may have a point.

Well I don't think any distributor is dumb enough to under provide for Black Friday if humanly possible. And considering these guys know that Wii software just explodes when the mainstream start buying they are going to want to have those mainstream brands in ample supply. So guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You can't call it a flop after 1 week. Uncharted had horrible first week sales, look at it now 2,000,000 sold.

Playstation 3 owner since December 25th, 2006

Zucas said:

I think the one disadvantage it had to MOHH2 is MOHH2 had the core backing fully similar to that of Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes. That allowed it without any significant marketing to do just find. However COD5 just doesn't seem to have that on Wii thus it's going to have to solely depend on its mainstream ability which hopefully the tiny bit of marketing can help.

pokes at zucas, errmh... Most MOH: H2 veterans and clans are switching to COD WAW already including WTzzz and the WT clan. The most popular clan on the Wii community, if you look at it its the other way around. COD WAW's core backing makes this game sell and the mainstream picks up the rest.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg