By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "When do you think we will see the first next-gen console?" -wtf?-

If this gen started 2004 (PSP/DS), I can see next gen starting with Sony's next handheld at 2010. 2009 is still too early.

If we're talking about home consoles, I'd lean towards a 2011 console from Microsoft. By then it will have been 6 years since the 360 released, which is a long period of time. Releasing a console 2012 would be the longest console gap since the NES (I think), so I'm skeptical about it. The 360 won't be selling much 3 years from now, 4 years is really pushing it.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
wfz said:
I think the real question is, who the hell voted for 2009?

Lol!!! True, true ...

2009 3 1.51%

Seems 3 people on VG have very...indiffernt...opinions about the consoles. :P

Sure laugh at the people who don't walk with the norm, they'll be the ones who'll be laughing at you when Wii HD comes out. ;)

2012 but who will it be?

2010 handhelds
2011 XB the Third
2012 Wii-2 / PS4

Squilliam said:
We will see the next generation when the console company in question believes they have something compelling to offer over the Xbox, PS and Wii of this generation. A lot of it really depends on what technologies and interfaces they choose to use. Its not really about an arbirtrary number.

For exampe: An Xbox based on an Intel X86 with Larrabee and Sandybridges (A shrink and generational change over the Core I7) would have to release in 2012 as thats the earliest time for mainstream production, though they might squeeze a 2011 release out though thats unlikely.

An Xbox with a similar architecture could be released now.

An Xbox using say ultrasonic motion and 3d positioning controls would have to wait for that technology and the software using it to become viable.

Squilliam, I've noticed you like your tech.

What do you make of the whole forwards compatibility thing that's been mentioned in relation to the next xbox?

Around the Network

In my opinion, the probability that we will see a new console from the console manufacturers by the end of a year are as follows:

2009: Microsoft- 0% Nintendo 0% Sony 0%
2010: Microsoft- 33% Nintendo 0% Sony 0%
2011: Microsoft- 66% Nintendo 33% Sony 33%
2012: Microsoft-100% Nintendo 66% Sony 66%
2013: Microsoft-100% Nintendo 100% Sony 100%

Edit: I just wanted to add that a console (namely the next XBox) being released in 2010 would have to be decided immediately, and would depend heavily on how it performs at Christmas. If the XBox 360 continues to chug along through 2009 and third party publishers continue to heavily support it I expect Microsoft will hold off on releasing another console.

Nintendo and Sony are both going to wait for someone to start the next generation because Nintendo has no need to start the next generation (at this point in time) and Sony can't be seen as having the most expensive console with the shortest lifespan.

What does next gen mean?

When one of the 3 main console makers release a new console, or could it be counted as another company releasing a new console next year that bombs?

Or does it mean when one of the 3 main companies releases a console that has better specs than it's previous one, and again does this also mean another company releasing one of higher specs than any of the current console, which then bombs?

Or any of the above?

2011 is a good vote. thats 6 years for the 360, 5 years for the others. i voted 2012 tho.

I think that it could be Nintendo first. When it finally comes time to drop the price I could see them adding a Wii HD at the same time (sort of like DS upgrades.) It would upscale current games and new games could either be Wii HD only or have more flexibility like PC games to run on different hardware.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

@Seraphic_sixaxis

I just have 1 question for you. Did you know you can click the title of the poll and it will take you to the official thread for the poll?

this conversation could have been held in there.

Anyways, I think we have a 50% chance of a 2011 date, and a near 100% chance for 2012. 2011 will be 6 years on the market for the X360.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)