By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will be PS3 get a price cut?

I humbly point you to this thread, started by yours truly:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47930&page=1

Edit:

Damn, this was supposed to last till 12/31/08.

Around the Network

March 2009

mM
SpartanFX said:
lots of store deal will come up for PS3 for this holiday,,,,

like last Saturday walmart had 100 $ price cut on PS3.(I think you missed that right?)

there will be more of these type deals for bluray players and PS3 as we get closer to holidays.keep checking .

What he said.

Think about the games released and the upcoming games in 2009.
Then decide which console.
If you decide on a PS3, look for good deals like the other guys pointed out.
If you want a PS3, but get a 360 now, you might regret it in 2009, if you can't afford to get a second console.
In that case, if you really want God of War 3, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid IV, FF13 Versus and GT5, you better go for the PS3 one way or another.

''Hadouken!''

For anyone who might be holding their breath for a PS3 price cut this year, I wouldn't... The Black Friday ads are already posted for most of the major Retailers... There are several sites such as bfads.net and others that already have Sears, Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc. and they are all listing the PS3 80GB console at $399. If Sony was going to price cut this year I imagine they would have already done it as it is already a bit late for the price cut this year with black friday is only 10 days away and I don't think Sony would want to make a price cut AFTER the biggest shopping weekend of the year...

I'd say it is really anyone's guess at this point when they will do it. I suspect Sony's efforts this holiday will be blu-ray promotions on stand-alone players to perhaps get blu-ray devices up the adoption curve. They generate royalties and underpin the whole reason the PS3 has a blu-ray in the first place...

One thing is for sure -- they won't announce it until they are ready to cut the price right then. If they say -- hey, we're going to cut by $100 in 6 months, they won't sell much until then...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I am going to do something unprecedented for this thread. I will actually ignore the rhetoric about baseless assumptions, and answer the question in a concise way. Sony has publicly stated they will not offer any price cuts on their hardware this year. Sony has not commented on their long range pricing strategy either since late last year. Sony has downgraded its fiscal year forecasts dramatically. More to the point since they produced their new forecast the economy has actually slipped further, and the government has declared that the country is in a recession.

You have to understand that most of those who are going to talk up assumptions in this thread are very much strangers to the economic reality taking place around them. Most of them really do assume that Sony can sell their console at a loss some time next year, or even sell it at a meager profit. While the rest of Sony is going to be hurting, and hurting badly. When televisions, camcorders, computers, movies, and other products see a slump in sales the difference must be made somewhere. When a company is struggling just to retain profitability that is hardly the time for them to sign off on selling whatever is selling at a loss. That just makes the company bleed faster.

The answer is do not expect a price cut during this economic downturn. This is the time when Sony will need to make as much money up front from all the products that can be profitable. Which will be few and far between. Expect a real price cut when the economy begins to grow again. Which I leave up to you how long do you think this downturn will last. Given the terminations, and the freeze on hiring taking place in much of the country. I suspect we are looking at something a bit longer then six months, and perhaps closer to a year.

Seriously guys pick up a damned newspaper see what is what. You would understand that Sony is not doing too hot, and will probably be a big loser this holiday season. Their products are usually among the most expensive.

March 09,80GB with Killzone 2 bundle

Dodece said:
I am going to do something unprecedented for this thread. I will actually ignore the rhetoric about baseless assumptions, and answer the question in a concise way. Sony has publicly stated they will not offer any price cuts on their hardware this year. Sony has not commented on their long range pricing strategy either since late last year. Sony has downgraded its fiscal year forecasts dramatically. More to the point since they produced their new forecast the economy has actually slipped further, and the government has declared that the country is in a recession.

You have to understand that most of those who are going to talk up assumptions in this thread are very much strangers to the economic reality taking place around them. Most of them really do assume that Sony can sell their console at a loss some time next year, or even sell it at a meager profit. While the rest of Sony is going to be hurting, and hurting badly. When televisions, camcorders, computers, movies, and other products see a slump in sales the difference must be made somewhere. When a company is struggling just to retain profitability that is hardly the time for them to sign off on selling whatever is selling at a loss. That just makes the company bleed faster.

The answer is do not expect a price cut during this economic downturn. This is the time when Sony will need to make as much money up front from all the products that can be profitable. Which will be few and far between. Expect a real price cut when the economy begins to grow again. Which I leave up to you how long do you think this downturn will last. Given the terminations, and the freeze on hiring taking place in much of the country. I suspect we are looking at something a bit longer then six months, and perhaps closer to a year.

Seriously guys pick up a damned newspaper see what is what. You would understand that Sony is not doing too hot, and will probably be a big loser this holiday season. Their products are usually among the most expensive.

Nice post, but I do believe that Sony will be able to sell a PS3 during the Spring for $299 without taking a hit, the reason is that by then it'll probably cost that much to make one and it'll go on their new FY after March.

goddog said:
foolpittier said:
If price is the issue you should still get the ps3. After two years of xbox live thats 100 dollars. With a wireless adapter that's another 100 dollars. That makes the cheapest xbox console cost 400 dollars after 2 years. The ps3 is still a much more powerful console that can play games like killzone 2 not possible on the 360. It still has a blu-ray allowing for full HD movies and games like Metal Gear Solid 4 which would require six disks on a 360. And at the end of it all your still let with and 80GB hardrive. The 200 dollar xbox model is lacking a hardrive and to buy a hardrive is so much more expensive on a 360 then a ps3.

once again why the hell does anyone use wireless gaming for a home console. its slower, people can leach off of you, and it wastes power. wired for home consoles, and wireless for portable devices. 

its not much slower, depending on your setup. people cant leach off you if you use passwords like your supposed to. doesnt waste that much power. and some people have to use wireless because they are not close to their modems to connect with the ethernet cable

PS3 will cut the price some time in 2009 and MS would immediately counter it with price cuts on the X360 SKU's.