By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 beta,the best game ever

DTG said:
Why do gamers have such a low standard towards there medium where there expectations are merely an afternoon of fun while movie goers and avid book readers have come to expect a little more from their respective mediums (than just referring to it as "fun")

Do you also have a hard time believing that people like a movie that is purely about dick and fart jokes?  I have a funny feeling you couldn't find a higher meaning in something like Bio-Dome, Tommy Boy, or Happy Gilmore.

Around the Network

Those people aren't cinephiles though. Cinephiles or avid book readers would be in the same league as hardcore gamers, but look at the imdb top 100 and you see far more serious movies in tone and themes than games on the top 100 gamerankings.

DTG said:
Those people aren't cinephiles though. Cinephiles or avid book readers would be in the same league as hardcore gamers, but look at the imdb top 100 and you see far more serious movies in tone and themes than games on the top 100 gamerankings.

Oh I know people that are cinephiles that love Tommy Boy and even one that likes Bio-Dome.

Also, your assumption that all hard core gamers want a good narrative is just wrong.  The fact people here are arguing with you is proof of that.  I'm pretty sure I would be considered a hard core gamer and I'm perfectly fine with stories that don't have a strong narrative.

Kasz216 said:
Fishie said:
Kasz216 said:
Fishie said:
DTG said:
Narrative is one of the if not THE most important aspect of any media format or genre. Movies without any even borderline decent narrative never make it to the big screen and neither should a game with bad narrative. Also, this thread wasn't about best fps ever but best game ever period, which simply cannot be true as any game with good graphics, good gameplay plus great narrative would be better than any other game missing one of those aspects completely.

Once again, Tetris disagrees.

Block fall down, make line, watch dissapear.

Its BRILLIANT MAN.

Ah, but that's where you miss it's deeper meaning.

Tetris is a analogy for the worker in the capatlist society.  No matter how hard you work, and how many points you gain, do to having pure capitalistic means it's NEVER enough... so you keep building and building points frantically until you die...

and no matter how many points you get... you NEVER beat the game and achieve pure hapinesss.

The game is clearly showing the philisophical advantages of communism.

But Tetris was one of the forces that brought on Perestroika in the CCCP(Soviet era Russia) and helped thaw relations between the east and the west.

Alexey Pajitnov told me so himself during one of my chats with him: http://games.kikizo.com/features/tetris_iv_dec07_p1.asp

I was being totally sarcastic.

I know, but I recognise an opportunity to pimp one of my interviews when I see one

DTG said:

Hardcore gamer for thirty years and one that advocates games as art(I do not consider any of the MGS games to be anything more then contrived bullshit with bad gameplay and exactly the sort of stuff that shows non gamers that videogames are NOT a mature medium or accepted form of art yet btw) right here and sometimes I just want to allign some blocks or kick Aliens from below`s butts.

You are a lone and quite frankly frightening voice even here on vgc forums, a forum I might add that is not exactly regarded too highly to begin with.

You sir make us and this hobby of ours look bad.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
So... what does it actually do that's different from a normal shooter?

Not sure. It's the most fun I've had playing a shooter. Everything is balanced very well, the gun, explosions, and all the special effects are absolutely brilliant!

It's better than Call of Duty 4 even. (previously my favorite shooter)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

well for a home console to achieve graphics that even come close to a full on pc game as crysis i think is an achievement on its own. Whether its better...i kinda dooubt that but if its good and we will all stare at it with our mouths open HELL YA!! i think killzone 2 is the sony's answer to america and hopefully they will get on par with 360 in that region as 360 basically owns america now. (Despite lookin at the wii as a real gaming system) lol here comes the hate bring it on. newayz killzone 2 is gna rok and good sales r kinda garunteed at this point. good to see it shapin up as ppl r hopin it to.

twesterm said:
DTG said:

Oh I know people that are cinephiles that love Tommy Boy and even one that likes Bio-Dome.

Also, your assumption that all hard core gamers want a good narrative is just wrong.  The fact people here are arguing with you is proof of that.  I'm pretty sure I would be considered a hard core gamer and I'm perfectly fine with stories that don't have a strong narrative.

Aside from which... one of the important things about a good narrative in a book or a movie is that it makes you feel like your in the book almost.  It makes you interact with the world.

In a game... you are interacting in the world by definition.

I mean thats why nartative is most important in books... least important in games

Books:  Are basically nothing without a narrative, there are popular poorly written books, but because those narratives fit the wants of people.

Movies: More big well established movies have plots that are sketchy... why?  You see what's going on.  It's easier to feel apart of the action, cause you can see what's going on.  Hence action oriented movies.

Vidoegames: You've got the visual AND interaction.  Now you only need the narrative to provide feeling for the characters.  Which if the gameplay is good enough, the feeling for the characters is already established in that you are the character and nobody wants to die or lose or whatever.

Fishie said:
DTG said:

Hardcore gamer for thirty years and one that advocates games as art(I do not consider any of the MGS games to be anything more then contrived bullshit with bad gameplay and exactly the sort of stuff that shows non gamers that videogames are NOT a mature medium or accepted form of art yet btw) right here and sometimes I just want to allign some blocks or kick Aliens from below`s butts.

You are a lone and quite frankly frightening voice even here on vgc forums, a forum I might add that is not exactly regarded too highly to begin with.

r u retarded? or did u ever kill sm1? r u mentally ill? did ur wife leave you? do u ave loved ones? do you have feelings? r u a gamer?

kunaixhaku said:
Fishie said:
DTG said:

r u retarded? or did u ever kill sm1? r u mentally ill? did ur wife leave you? do u ave loved ones? do you have feelings? r u a gamer?

Could you repeat that in English please?

My gibberish is kinda rusty.