By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well will Gran Turismo 5 do?

Skeeuk said:
no game on any system will sell systems like gran turismo 5.

i predict 10 million+ in sales and i predict gran turismo 5 will move millions of consoles.

if sony manages to get out a £239 ps3 bundled with a copy of gt5 xmas 2009, it will be the #1 console to own

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

Maybe 3 million LTD.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Wait, one thing though. Is there any change that GT5 will be available for download with PSN, for a lower cost than buying it in store? Because that could cause a big dent in its sales.

If not, 3M LTD is simply morony. That's claiming it will sell as much as GT5:P, which is so unlikely it's ridiculous.

Heck, this would mean Forza would be on size with it.

Also, I'm betting GT5 has a big change of being bundled.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Skeeuk said:

i predict 10 million+ in sales and i predict gran turismo 5 will move millions of consoles.

if sony manages to get out a £239 ps3 bundled with a copy of gt5 xmas 2009, it will be the #1 console to own

I don't know. I'm not convinced. For my part, I wouldn't purchase PlayStation 3 with the purpose of merely playing Gran Turismo 5.

Skeeuk said:

Hellooooo? Wii Sports / Wii Play / Wii Fit anyone?

Around the Network
Sardauk said:
Skeeuk said:

truth hurts but certainly it will be sony biggest selling exclusive.

I doubt this game will be even released in a year
and you are already hyping it
by the way,I think it will do 3 millions in its life time

Simulacrum said:
I have answered about 5 other "How will Gran Turismo 5 do" thread already.

It will flop.
Not single person will buy it.
Happy?!?!

I think you are a little too optimistic here.

----

Seriously I see this as the only PS3 game that has a chance at exceeding 10 million, and I feel it will do round about that LTD (about 9-11 million)

judging by how well know gran turismo is, and the previous sucess of its games which all sold at least 10 million copies, im expecting the game to sell 10+million copies. the prologue is so beautiful and fun its possible it might sell even more than the previous versions

Let me state that I think Gran Turismo 5 will be the top selling game lifetime on the PS3, as it's Sony's biggest exclusive franchise. That said, I think it's a bit of a longshot to reach 10m in sales; I'd peg a number around 8m as more reasonable, with 10m at the upper edge of potential sales. There are three major reasons why I would put the sales significantly lower than Gran Turismo 3:

- GT5 will release vastly later in the PS3's lifecycle. GT3 was one of the earliest PS2 titles, and benefited a lot from having little competition. It was one of those games that people bought to showcase their shiny new system; look at Motorstorm 1 sales for a good example. Coming out early also gave this game a very, very long time to sell - something that GT5 won't have going for it.

- GT3 benefited from extensive bundling with the PS2 in North America. While I fully expect there will be a lot of GT5 bundles, the lower hardware sales of PS3 compared to PS2 won't make up the difference here.

- GT3's early release meant it hit "Greatest Hits" status and bargin bin cheap price midway through the PS2's lifecycle, helping it squeeze out several million more sales. Sony won't be able to do the same thing with GT5, as it won't be releasing until holiday 2009 (in the most optimistic scenario) and the astronomical development costs won't be able to justified a reduced price for a very long time. This will depress sales long term, although it won't do anything to stop huge week 1 numbers.

All told, I expect GT5 to sell more in line with GT4, which also came out relatively late in its console's lifecycle, thereby having less time to rack up sales. Keep in mind too just how insanely difficult it is to reach 10m in sales; the 360 sells monstrous quantities of software, and it still doesn't have a single game near 10m. GT5 will sell fabulously well, just not as well as its incredible predecessor.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)