By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What is 4D? How would that work?

4th physical dimension is impossible in our universe. At least we aren't able to sense it if it in fact does exist.

As for time being the 4th dimension, well that's questionable, since time isn't in the same category as the other 3. Also, time only goes forwards, there's no negative time. Unless we find a way to move along the line of time, there's no way we will ever be able to control it just like we can control the 3 physical dimensions.

So there's no way we can have 4D gaming (if you consider time a dimension).

Edit: I take the last sentence back, time can be replicated and controlled in a videogame, but time as per se isn't what we would be calling a real dimension. Time moves along the imaginary axis when using complex numbers, and only goes forward. It isn't present in the normal xyz space.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX, I'm seeing you start one nonsensical thread after another tonight, and I need you to level with me:

Are you aware that abusing prescription drugs is a crime in all fifty states?

Nonsensical? These are serious questions.

And yet I notice that you're dodging mine...

I'm aware that abusing prescription drugs is a crime on all 50 plates.

Well as long as that's squared away, my work here is done.

noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX, I'm seeing you start one nonsensical thread after another tonight, and I need you to level with me:

Well as long as that's squared away, my work here is done.

Thanks for the heads up. Dodgeball can be dangerous. And last time I checked, squares were 2D.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Length, Width, Depth, Time.

In terms of video games, the first 3d's are what you see... you basically just see objects moving. 4d in video games however are the changes to that object over time. Small example. Your pants get wet in uncharted, over time they dry, and shows slightly in the textures I think..... There's a tech demo about rotting wood on ps3 on youtube you could look up. It was raining in the demo....

4 ≈ One

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Time is considered (4th Dimension)

And 4d gaming would be something constantly changing.. Just like real life.. that's all it means.. We live in 4 dimensions (actually 5 I believe but I'm not sure what the other is) I forgot to quote the other guy's post but yes.. 3 physical 1 spacial

Dude above me... good post

If perferring the PS3 over the 360 makes me a fanboy.. I guess I am guilty..

List of 360 Games I would like to have: Alan Wake

List of PS3 Games I would like to have: LBP, FFXIII(if it ever comes), R2(maybe)

List of Wii Games I would like to have: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (It's not an exclusive but it would be awesome)

SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:

interesting.....

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:

interesting.....

rather interesting, I think I'll take the 51st plate then

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

I really enjoyed this video.

4 ≈ One

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dimoffree.svg - that picture shows 0, 1 and 2 dimensional objects (point, line and square) it also shows our mathematical way of representing 3 and 4 (spacial) dimensional objects (cube and hypercube)

If we're considering 4 spacial dimensions, then we bump the time dimension to 5th.
So yes, they are right in saying that the PS3 can represent 3 spatial dimension, and 1 of time, but so could the PS2 and PS1, heck, I played a couple of isometric view games on the Snes, which have as much claim to being 4D as PS3 games do