By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega article from 1986...

Here is an article about the SMS from paid Proquest database:

NEW SEGA COMPUTER GAME SYSTEM ACCEPTS 2 CARTRIDGES; [SPORTS FINAL, NW Edition]
Steven Kosek and Dennis LynchChicago Tribune (pre-1997 Fulltext). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 28, 1986. pg. 66

Abstract (Summary)

More of us than ever get our kicks from a personal computer, but the dedicated game machine lives on--and it's still a good choice for arcade antics. Today, the two most powerful dedicated game machines around are the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Sega Master System.

The Nintendo, which was reviewed here in June, got the jump on Sega with earlier distribution in the States, but the Sega Master System is finally available here in Chicagoland.

Unlike the Nintendo, the Sega accepts two kinds of cartridges: light, wafer-thin Sega Cards that retail for $20 apiece and hold 256K worth of data; and Mega Cartridges, familiar-looking plastic units that list for $30 apiece and hold a whopping 1024K--that's one megabyte--of data. You don't need to know a byte from a nibble to realize that one megabyte is a huge amount of data for a game, an amount that even a sophisticated system like an IBM PC does not currently match. Practically speaking, that means arcade games on the Sega will be more complex and more colorful than nearly anything else you've ever seen on your TV screen.

Yup folks its really 8 bit HDTV!!!!

Full Text (618  words)
Copyright Chicago Tribune Co. Nov 28, 1986

More of us than ever get our kicks from a personal computer, but the dedicated game machine lives on--and it's still a good choice for arcade antics. Today, the two most powerful dedicated game machines around are the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Sega Master System.

The Nintendo, which was reviewed here in June, got the jump on Sega with earlier distribution in the States, but the Sega Master System is finally available here in Chicagoland.

The Sega has much in common with the Nintendo. It consists of a small (approximately 12 inches by 9 inches) systems unit, a power pack that plugs into an electrical outlet, two hand-held controller/joysticks and an optional laser gun. Game screens can be displayed on either a TV or an analog RGB monitor. The whole system lists for $150 but can be had for under $100 if you're willing to shop around.

Like the Nintendo, the Sega is extremely easy to set up. A clearly written instruction booklet covers just about any hookup you have to make. Even though we faced a Gordian knot of wires linking TV, cable TV converter, VCR and stereo system, we were playing our first game within 15 minutes of opening the box.

Unlike the Nintendo, the Sega accepts two kinds of cartridges: light, wafer-thin Sega Cards that retail for $20 apiece and hold 256K worth of data; and Mega Cartridges, familiar-looking plastic units that list for $30 apiece and hold a whopping 1024K--that's one megabyte--of data. You don't need to know a byte from a nibble to realize that one megabyte is a huge amount of data for a game, an amount that even a sophisticated system like an IBM PC does not currently match. Practically speaking, that means arcade games on the Sega will be more complex and more colorful than nearly anything else you've ever seen on your TV screen.

256K----Woooowwwwwww!!!!

When you buy a Sega system with the laser gun, you get a Mega Cartridge containing two games: Hang On, a 3-D motorcycle race, currently a big hit in video arcades; and Safari Hunt, a shoot-em-up with wit. Safari Hunt takes better advantage of the laser gun than any other game we've seen on either the Nintendo or Sega.

About a dozen other cards and cartridges are available, with more due for release soon. Overall, we found the one-megabyte cartridge games to be more enjoyable than the cards; the extra storage space allows for more complex and challenging games. Younger players may prefer the simplicity of the cards.

Here's a run-down of some of the more notable Sega games:

All-Star Wrestling: Comic mayhem prevails in this cartoon world of muscle-bound theatrics. Master enough of the 20 different holds at your disposal and you may even get to fight for the championship.

Choplifter: If you can stomach the premise of this game, you might be able to appreciate why it has become a top arcade hit. You pilot a U.S. helicopter force attempting to rescue 64 hostages in a distinctly Mideast setting. The scoreboard shows the number of hostages rescued and killed. Choplifter is one of computerland's guilty pleasures, a game you'll be afraid to admit you love to play.

My Hero: A gang of punk rockers has captured your girl. You need your Kung Fu skills to rescue her from the Mohawk-haired bullies and their ferocious bulldogs. This game is guaranteed to offend feminists, pacifists, new wavers and animal lovers everywhere.

The Sega Master System lists for $150 but is available at local retail outlets such as Toys "R" Us at a significant discount. For the distributor nearest you, call Sega at 408-435-0201.

Call the obsolete number---I dare you ;)

halogamer out...

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:

list for $30 apiece and hold a whopping 1024K--that's one megabyte--of data. You don't need to know a byte from a nibble to realize that one megabyte is a huge amount of data for a game, an amount that even a sophisticated system like an IBM PC does not currently match. Practically speaking, that means arcade games on the Sega will be more complex and more colorful than nearly anything else you've ever seen on your TV screen.

That made me laugh, hard.

Haha I love it, 1 meg of storage data, you can really see how Sega was trying to set up the innovative gaming experience that would set it apart from Nintendo in the 3rd gen.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

ah, it's quite enjoyable to read old video game related articles. haha.

I got my Master System from Toys R Us in 1986, i remember the day i brought it home.

Mine came with Hang-On and Astro Warriors. I still have my 3D Glasses and Light Gun, all works Great!

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

One whole megabyte.

Most free cell phones have more memory than that nowadays.

I love how fast technology moves.

The good old master system. When i got mine, I had Hang on, Alex the kid, some hidden maze game with a snail, Bank Panic, Alex the kid, Wonder Boy, Afterburner, Space harrier and some more games.

Luckily, when I was given a Master System, I was given about 10 games with it. Wonder Boy and Space Harrier FTW!

Keep in mind, 1MB was huge back in 1986.

First Amiga, Amiga 1000 had only 256KB-s of RAM, and so did PC's back then.

Star Scream said:
Keep in mind, 1MB was huge back in 1986.

First Amiga, Amiga 1000 had only 256KB-s of RAM, and so did PC's back then.

My goodness.

Now 1 gig of RAM is ancient.

though in '86 I don't think nintendo had even introduced un-rom yet (I think pro-wrestling was the first un-rom cart in Early '87) and carts were still limit to 48kb, so the 32kb (why does the article switch between describing the card in Kilobits and the cart in megabytes?) cards were pretty good

so the thought of a full megabyte is pretty impressive, though I don't think there were even any 512 KB carts until Phantasy star in 88, though that was still 2 or 3 years before nintendo had 512Kb carts, though I didn't think the sms could address up to a full meg cart

though the nes through bank swapping could support up to  a full megabyte as well, I think Metal Slader Glory and Dragon Warrior 4 are the only 2 full meg games, I believe street fighter 2 for the master system reached 1.25 megabytes in 97, man the master system refused to die in Brazil

anyway a topic with such master system awesomeness calls for the best of master system cover art

yep them be some of the best covers of all time

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!