By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Oyv's way clean your Wii for dust

A relatively common problem with the Wii is that it gets dust on the lens (well, less than 0.1% people probably get it as a major problem). This happened to me, and made most games freeze at certain points. I called Nintendo, and they said that it could take a month to get my Wii back, if I sent it to them. I had no interest in sending my Wii back, so I tried to blow into the Wii, and sucking the dust out using various items. Nothing helped.

Then I realized one thing, that is actually a pretty good idea.

Take a Wii disc (preferably one that isn't a huge crisis if gets messed up a bit, didn't happen to me, but might happen). Pour water on it. Don't use paper or clean it or anything. Put the disc into the Wii, with some water drops on it, and start the game. Let it stand on the menu for a few minutes, letting the disc spin. Exit the game, take out the game. The dust will now be on your disc, easy to clean off.

I believe that the reason is that the water makes the dust wet, so that it becomes slightly bigger, and when you take out the disc, just a bit is drawn out with the disc.

Still, now my Wii works perfectly, and load times for Disaster: Day of Crisis are now at less than 1/3 of before.

Kinda cool, huh?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Can't water seriously damage the Wii's internal components?

Sounds very risky...

How much water do you think manages to stick to a disc? It's next to nothing.

Yea that works well, I normally just have my friend use a thin piece of dust attracting glue that he would slide into he drive and then wait a while, he pulls it out and ta-da. ^_^

The glue is very weak but it pulls dust towards it for some reason.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Maybe I should give this a try because my Brawl loading times are pretty long. Anyone else have really long Brawl loading times?

That's actually a great idea... I'd try and use it with my PS2 if I didn't already open it and clean it from the inside... my guess it'd work too.

Thechalkblock said:
Maybe I should give this a try because my Brawl loading times are pretty long. Anyone else have really long Brawl loading times?

I'd be a bit careful with it though. I may have just been very lucky.

Brawl had very long loading times for me too, but I haven't really had a change after I did this.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Thechalkblock said:

I'd be a bit careful with it though. I may have just been very lucky.

Brawl had very long loading times for me too, but I haven't really had a change after I did this.

ok well if I ever have problems like what you had I will keep your cleaning in mind, thanks.

Crazy, but it just might work.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."