By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Australia's top-selling games for first half of 2007

From http://www.gametab.com/news/987070/

---------------------------

The denizens of Azeroth have voted with their wallets down under, with the latest figures from industry tracker GfK Australia showing that World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade was Australia's top-selling game for the first half of 2007.

World of Warcraft's first expansion pack was the best-selling (by units sold) game in Australia between January 1, 2007, and June 30, 2007. The popularity of the Burning Crusade also helped spur sales of the original game, with World of Warcraft coming in at fifth position in the overall sales lists.

Sony had a strong showing in the overall top 10, with five titles being either for the PS2 or the PS3. Final Fantasy XII for the PS2 was the second-highest selling game of 2007 so far, with God of War 2 and Cricket 2007 coming in at fourth and ninth spots, respectively. As for Sony's new console, Resistance: Fall of Man came in at sixth, while MotorStorm took seventh spot for the PS3.

While Sony dominated the top 10, Nintendo was the winner when it comes to the top 20 games, with eight out of the top 20 games being for Nintendo machines. The DS was particularly strong with seven games, while the Wii had a solitary entry, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which came in at 12th place. The Xbox 360 had only one game make the overall top 20--Gears of War, which took 14th spot.

The full list is compiled below:

Top-selling games in Australia H1 2007
1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, PC
2. Final Fantasy XII, PS2
3. Pokemon Diamond, Nintendo DS
4. God of War 2, PS2
5. World of Warcraft, PC
6. Resistance: Fall of Man, PS3
7. MotorStorm, PS3
8. Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends, Nintendo DS
9. Cricket 07, PS2
10. The Sims 2: Seasons, PC
11. Guitar Hero 2 bundle, PS2
12. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo Wii
13. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training, Nintendo DS
14. Gears of War, Xbox 360
15. Pokemon Pearl, Nintendo DS
16. SingStar Rocks! bundle, PS2
17. The Sims 2: Pets, PC
18. Nintendogs: Labrador and Friends, Nintendo DS
19. New Super Mario Bros., Nintendo DS
20. Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends, Nintendo DS

Figures courtesy of GfK Australia.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Shows that generally, there were NO "smash hits" here in the first half of '07. The top title being an expansion pack to an online-only game!

Points of note:

- Three flavours of Nintendogs in the top 20 (wonder where it would sit, if all included together - 3rd?)

- Pokemon Diamond at #3 ... but Pokemon Pearl at #15! (I purchased Diamond...). Pokemon launched about one month ago.

- Both PS3 launch titles present in top 10 (as expected, considering PS3 launched in late March)

- Where is "Buzz"? Its in the top 10 almost every week? (maybe different versions of the game?)

In general, PS2 & DS dominate. No surprise that both consoles retail for around $200 (much cheaper than everything else). Need more Wii software (i.e. Super Paper Mario...)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Gears being out sold by Resistance, not bad. 360 being weak in so many markets is a bit weird with their head start o this gen.

Nonquihote said:
Gears being out sold by Resistance, not bad. 360 being weak in so many markets is a bit weird with their head start o this gen.

I think its purely "launch period" vrs "non-launch period".

Average consumer couldn't care less about any of these expensive consoles (even the Wii is pricey). So you get all the fans/gamers literally heading out to buy the games they want within a few days of launch.

You won't see or hear from Resistance or Motorstorm in the next half of the year. Of all the titles, only these were launched before this 6 month window (have legs):

5. World of Warcraft, PC
8. Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends, Nintendo DS
11. Guitar Hero 2 bundle, PS2
12. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo Wii
13. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training, Nintendo DS
14. Gears of War, Xbox 360
18. Nintendogs: Labrador and Friends, Nintendo DS
19. New Super Mario Bros., Nintendo DS
20. Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends, Nintendo DS

(pretty sure that's right - if someone spots an error, speak up!)

So... Nintendogs, NSMB, Brain Training... and 1x360, PS2, Wii, PC.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Pokemon DP was released on June 21st in Australia. So this data represents its first ten days of sales. Wow.

Around the Network

Motorstorm and Resistance beat out Gears. Woah.

why are we unable to get actual software sold? dont gfk release actual hardware numbers?

Nonquihote said:

Doesnt Resistance get bundled a lot as one of the PS3s few decent titles during this drought?

It suprised me as well as I expected the X360 to sell similar ratios to the PS3 as in America. 

Remeber that the first two months of sales for Gears won't be counted. (ie Nov, Dec 06). That is why it will be so far down the list.

I think ther are currently 6 versions of Buzz, at least 2 have come out in the past 6 months. That may be why you always see one in the top 10 but there are none in the list for the first half of the year.

I see Nintendogs keeps going strong.

I think this site is gonna find that they are tracking the Wii and DS to low after the next sales number announcements come out of Aus.