By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Now is the time to buy a wii

I have seen a wii or 2, but most of the time the next time i come back to the same store they are gone. I even saw 5 WiiFit in stock at Walmart... But 2 days later none.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

That is just due to a large shipment. Supply can spike, deman is constant. Claiming that demand is met during a spike, a historical time in which demand is always met for a limited period, is called coincidental reasoning.

Coincidental reasoning is when you base assumptions that could be true upon constants that would be true with or without the variable in question.

In other words, the Wii being in stock during a huge supply shipment proves nothing, and claiming that demand is met based upon that non-proof is invalid reasoning. It certainly could be true, however, but it can't be proven, nor even be made valid by these methods.

What makes you think there was an abnormally large shipment? I haven't heard that anywhere else. What I've heard is that Nintendo drastically increased production, and has been shipping all that new stock to the US. (They already met demand in Japan and Europe.) The Wii being available isn't brand new this week; it started in isolated locations over a month ago, and has now been available everywhere for at least a week straight. In other words, this isn't a "supply spike"; this is permanently increased supply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "demand is constant". The way I'd understand the phrase it's just plain not true; demand is going to increase throughout November and December. The question is whether Nintendo's increased supply will be able to meet the upcoming increased demand. If you're so sure that's impossible, I suggest buying every Wii you can afford before Black Friday; you'd make a killing on eBay. Personally, I'm not convinced enough to take that gamble.

@Blizzid: Zen means that Nintendo have stockpiles for christmas, which it releases. Then another thing is, that throughout the year, Nintendo isn't releasing the whole production to market, due to need of stockpiling. Now Nintendo propably ran the extra production into stockpiles, so that the supply would be high during the christmas period.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Plus its nearing Black friday and Animal crossing is coming out, so of course Nintendo would release a bigger stockpile

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

In the UK its illegal to sell more than one wii to a customer at one time due to ebayers

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Around the Network

wii sales will be through the roof in America for the next couple of months

Yep they seem to be everywhere, now we get to see if the supply meets the demand or not. With the recession underway, the 360 price drop and the lack of new Wii heavy hitters I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nintendo meet demand this Christmas.

If I had the money, I definitely Would!

^_^

@flagship: I wouldn't say so. Animal Crossing, which is nearing 10M on the DS and Wii Music, something which will found its way under the chrismas tree.
So judging by past sales, Animal Crossing is pretty much the biggest hitter released in Q4 2008.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I had no problem finding one this weekend for my wife. I finally purchased one then went home and showered because I felt dirty.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.