By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii could sell for over 15 years.

How does a 15 or 20 year life span for the Wii sound? The Wii could potentially sell over 300 million consoles providing it sold for 15 years. With the success of the Wii capturing the casual market there is no need to rush a new Nintendo console on the market. So the earliest I see next Nintendo system is around 2016- marking 10th aniversary of the Wii's launch.

Please tell me if this sounds like a plausible prediction. 2016 new Nintendo console?

Around the Network

wtf we dont want 10 years of wii sports/fishing/hunting/wrestling/fit/sports/ski/play/baseball/tea drinking/basketball/christmas/easter/carnival

Enough with the casual games another 10 years of wii titled games will be too much for any hardcore gamer

numonex said:

How does a 15 or 20 year life span for the Wii sound? The Wii could potentially sell over 300 million consoles providing it sold for 15 years. With the success of the Wii capturing the casual market there is no need to rush a new Nintendo console on the market. So the earliest I see next Nintendo system is around 2016- marking 10th aniversary of the Wii's launch.

Please tell me if this sounds like a plausible prediction. 2016 new Nintendo console?

Plausible? the word you're looking for is laughable.

No, but current and next generation Nintendo consoles would coexist for a relatively long period of time.

megaman2 said:

wtf we dont want 10 years of wii sports/fishing/hunting/wrestling/fit/sports/ski/play/baseball/tea drinking/basketball/christmas/easter/carnival

Enough with the casual games another 10 years of wii titled games will be too much for any hardcore gamer

Way to take the words out of my mouth!

We all know Nintendo hasn't planned to revive any of their good franchises. We can safely say that we'll never see another Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Starfox, F-Zero, Punch-Out!, Sin and Punishment, Pokémon, and everything else! Nintendo hates us! 8D

Around the Network
megaman2 said:

Hmm, this could be an interesting study.

Does a hardcore gamer explode after being surrounded by people enjoying themselves for 10 years?

numonex said:

Stranger things have happened.  If you say 2016 is the next console with a major upgrade (such as 1080p graphics) that obsolete older units.  Minor new consoles, such as colors, larger storage, other "minor" features would of course happen prior to that, and could be considered as "new" console or not.

I don't know if I think it will take them that long to launch another console - it seems highly unlikely, if only because after that long even casual users will probably begin to feel the squeeze on the space limitations that the Wii has - but I agree that, if they play their cards separately, they could have the next console and the Wii running full steam ahead, side by side, for a long time.

i believe wii sports resort is believed to be the last in the seires, at least for a while

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

woopah said:
i believe wii sports resort is believed to be the last in the seires, at least for a while

Highly doubtful, Nintendo isn't going to kill off its lucrative cash cow any time soon, no next up is Wii fit 2

Also Wii could survive 15 years, the NES was still selling almost 20 years after its launch, however after about 7-8 years at the latest, another nintendo console will release

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)