By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA is the best country in the world

Japan has SONY and Nintendo.... for me they Win....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

LOL

USA is the most powerful country in the world yes. That is indisputable, but that does not mean its the best.

USA is a very great country that has many many things going for it but lets not discount other countries.

"Everyone has the opportunity to improve their life." That can be applied to many countries. In fact many countries have higher living standards according to the UN. I think the UN is more authoritative then you, no offense meant.

Someone linked to an article that references a UN study done in 2004. I'll quote it.

"The 2004 UN Human Development Index, released Thursday, put Canada in fourth place, behind Norway, Sweden and Australia. The United States ranked in 8th place, and the United Kingdom in 12th." The US is ranked very highly but it isn't the highest. Last time I checked the most recently updated figures the US still was being outpaced. Though I admit it will be interesting to see how the current economic crisis changes the list.

"USA has democratic government" As do most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc. Having an elected government ministry isn't a new concept, hell it isn't even an American invention, read up on ancient Athens.

"best technology" Arguably correct, especially in regards to military application. Although countries like Germany and Japan are on a similar level.

"best hospitals are in the USA" That may be, but so many americans are without health care that it doesn't matter. Many countries have significantly higher average life-spans.

"Hollywood movies are in the USA" Well considering hollywood is in america rofl. Europe has a vibrant film industry. England for example has very high standards in regards to its Television shows, especially comedies. Infact Hollywood isn't even the biggest film industry in the world in regards to film output and ticket sales, India is.

"USA is the best in the world at most sports." In general yes, but China won the last olympics and countries like Australia are better on a per-capita level. So its definitely not a clear cut victory. It also depends on what sports you mean. The US isn't very good at soccer which is the most popular sport in the world for example.

"we are blessed by God" LOL. Don't you know Christianity is widely popular in other countries as-well, not to mention it originated from the middle-east.

lightbleeder said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I will paint a picture of my life at least, so you all can compare this to where you live.

I live in a vacation town in Minnesota. I own a 2,300 square foot 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home, on 14 acres. My back yard backs up to a lake. I own a boat, a Porsche 911 convertible (2001), a 4x4 Chevy Silverado Pickup truck fully loaded (2002), and all the electronics you could want (PS3, 360, Wii, gaming PC, a few HD-TV's, 17" Mac Book Pro that I am typing this on, etc....)

I have a German Shepherd dog, a barn for horses (no horses though), a nice tractor... I have a lot. I am fully covered under insurance (me, home, cars, belongings). I also save 8% of my salary for retirement.

Now, my income. 18 years ago, I waited tables for a living. I decided to go to college for Computer Science, and started a career as a software developer. Today, I make $78,000 a year. That's not very much money compared to many people in this country, but look at what it buys me.

So, let me know how much in Europe you need to make to own my house on 14 acres lakefront. I bet it's a lot more then I make.

And most certainly you payed most of those stuff with credit cards or loans, if that's so now you're a slave of your debts now, congratulations...

No joke, mafoo.  I thought you were at least making a healthy six-figure income based on your posting history.  I'm amazed you can afford all that stuff on your income.  You must be broke as hell!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
lightbleeder said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I will paint a picture of my life at least, so you all can compare this to where you live.

I live in a vacation town in Minnesota. I own a 2,300 square foot 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home, on 14 acres. My back yard backs up to a lake. I own a boat, a Porsche 911 convertible (2001), a 4x4 Chevy Silverado Pickup truck fully loaded (2002), and all the electronics you could want (PS3, 360, Wii, gaming PC, a few HD-TV's, 17" Mac Book Pro that I am typing this on, etc....)

I have a German Shepherd dog, a barn for horses (no horses though), a nice tractor... I have a lot. I am fully covered under insurance (me, home, cars, belongings). I also save 8% of my salary for retirement.

Now, my income. 18 years ago, I waited tables for a living. I decided to go to college for Computer Science, and started a career as a software developer. Today, I make $78,000 a year. That's not very much money compared to many people in this country, but look at what it buys me.

So, let me know how much in Europe you need to make to own my house on 14 acres lakefront. I bet it's a lot more then I make.

And most certainly you payed most of those stuff with credit cards or loans, if that's so now you're a slave of your debts now, congratulations...

No joke, mafoo.  I thought you were at least making a healthy six-figure income based on your posting history.  I'm amazed you can afford all that stuff on your income.  You must be broke as hell!

Not broke at all. And I bought nothing on credit, it's WHY i can afford all that stuff.

I am debt free. The only things I have a loan on is the car (I took a 24k loan for the car after my trade in), and my house of course.

You don't need a lot of money to acquire a lot of things, you just need time.

I am almost 40, so I have been making a good income for a long time. I also make that salary in a small town where the cost of living is lower.

The point is, there is a lot of life to be had in the area of the middle class in the US. Why people don't see that is beyond me.

The USA is the BEST country in the world. The US has 3% of the worlds population and yet we are 25% percent of the worlds economy. The state of California has a bigger economy than france. We are the richest most powerful country in the world. AKA best county in the world. And everything good that other countries have the US has it and more.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
ctk495 said:
Maybe I'm not sure there was this quote from hitler on my GCSE book that said that he disliked the USA.

Was it one where he callled it the "JewSA".

There was a bunch of remarks he made about the USA in a bunch of stuff.

I think so before he declare war to the usa I think he said that he prefer english men a thousand times than an american and that the country was run by the dollar. And that how a country that was half jew and half negro could be allow to rule itself.

gokoon said:

The USA is the BEST country in the world. The US has 3% of the worlds population and yet we are 25% percent of the worlds economy. The state of California has a bigger economy than france. We are the richest most powerful country in the world. AKA best county in the world. And everything good that other countries have the US has it and more.

That's not actually true.  France's is still slightly higher, although they are very close.

And simply because a country has more money than another country doesn't mean it is a better country.  I don't think I would want to live in a world where that is true.

And also, a country that has more power isn't necessarily a better country.  Russia had almost as much power as the U.S. throughout much of the Cold War.  Germany might have been more powerful than the U.S. by itself during WW2.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@OP: Just curious, how many other countries have you lived in?

steven787 said:

I couln't stop laughing at that song

Currently Playing: Mass Effect (360)

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Gandhi

Kasz216 said:
coolestguyever said:
Okay i'm going to have to argue on the best sports comment:

1. Canada is the best at hockey. 'Nuff Said.

2. Europe is way better at football (soccer) than the US

3. The 2 best tennis players are Federer (swiss) and Nadal (spanish)

4. The US has the best individual golfer (tiger woods), but the US often lose the Ryder Cup. Since 1979 when it became US vs Europe, Europe is leading 8 wins to 7 Wins

5. Of course the US wins at American football. USA and Canada are the only countries that play it!

6. Baseball. America's sport. Well South Korea won gold at the 2008 olympics in Baseball, and USA finished 3rd. And go back to 2004 and the US didn't even win a medal.

7. Basketball. US got gold in 2008, but what about 2004 when Argentina got the gold? USA is probably the best in the world at basketball but don't always win. Its becoming more popular around the world. And some of the best players in the league aren't american. Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, all international players.

8. I guess if you want to include rugby then the US isn't the best. New Zealand, Australia, England, Fiji all better than US.

So if you read all this. I pretty much prove the US isn't the best at sports by any means.

4.  Rexamine this one....

Europe is winning 8 to 7...

The USA is one country...  Europe is.... how many?

The population size for Europe and the US are fairly similar. The pools to pick from are roughly the same size, the only difference is that there are language issues that the Europe team would have top ut up with.